Question

Top Student
BobLudwig
Message 1 of 9 (5,867 Views)

Unable to Apply Photosmart C309a Firmware Update

The HP firmware update "Critical Update to Prevent an Error State When Connecting Your Printer to a Network" is available for the Photosmart C309a model and seems to address a problem I've been having accessing the printer.  However, when I try to apply it, it fails to detect the printer regardless of how I have the printer connected: Wireless Network, Wired Network, or USB.  It also fails to apply regardless as to whether it is being applied from Windows Vista or Windows XP.

Any ideas?

Honor Student
bollee23
Message 2 of 9 (5,849 Views)

Re: Unable to Apply Photosmart C309a Firmware Update

I have had the same issue under Mac OS 10.6.2. I first tried from ethernet, then I read that this update should be done through USB. Finally I tried under Win XP using USB : no luck.

My guess is that the message isn't clear enough : may be it signifies that no printer requiring update has been found.

In addition, the firmware revision numbering proposed with the update isn't consistent with the current FW revision I have inside my printer.

By the way my current FW rev. is VAx2FN0915AR. Maybe someone could confirm that it is the latest fw revision.

Tutor
three_jeeps
Message 3 of 9 (5,831 Views)

OMG, I am having the exact same problem  Would u believe I spent 2+ hrs with a 'hp support person' in chat to resolve this issue?  I *specifically* asked him how I could compare the Version number printed on the self test page with the version number on the website, and, he was clueless. He later said that I should update the firmware because ' my version is old' and when I asked him how he came to the conclusion that the one on the website was newer, he did not have an answer.

I'll check my printer at home when I get there and compare firmware versions and then post...I purchased mine in dec, 2009.

That doesn't always indicte 'newness' of firmware. 

I also asked the hp rep if the firmware update program would report the existing version in the printer, state the version it was going to install, and ask you if you wanted to proceed with the installation.  Seems like a very reasonable thing to expect.  He did not know the answer to that.

I cant believe that something this straight forward could be sooooooo screwed up...both from a web documentation perspective, through implementation (yea, maybe a misleading/incorrect error message) as well as an clueless support person who could not find any info to save his life.   So very very very sad....

john

Has anybody resolved this issue?????

Master's Graduate
JonW
Message 4 of 9 (5,725 Views)

Hi all,

I have been studying this thread about your problem with this firmware patch, this patch is designed to fix a connection problem that gives a specific error message on the front panel, mention in the patch instructions.  The patch is only for a small number of people who may have the specific hardware that causes the problem.  

The patch does not alter the firmware revision number and so it is not clear that it has installed, but it will fix the problem if your one of the customers affected.

This firmware patch will not add or remove features from the product, and I might add all the people who have posted their firmware revision details in the thread have the latest version.

I hope this helps to clarify the situation.

JonW

I work for HP
Tutor
three_jeeps
Message 5 of 9 (5,720 Views)

JonW wrote:

Hi all,

I have been studying this thread about your problem with this firmware patch, this patch is designed to fix a connection problem that gives a specific error message on the front panel, mention in the patch instructions.  The patch is only for a small number of people who may have the specific hardware that causes the problem.  

3jeeps> you are correct, it does say that

The patch does not alter the firmware revision number and so it is not clear that it has installed, but it will fix the problem if your one of the customers affected.

3jeeps> now isn't this type of operation quite vague and useless??

This firmware patch will not add or remove features from the product, and I might add all the people who have posted their firmware revision details in the thread have the latest version.

3jeeps> Would you be able to shed some light on what is the current version of the firmware?? e.g. a number?

I hope this helps to clarify the situation.

3jeeps> Somewhat, ty....Perhaps you could take this feedback to someone in your organization who would see the sillyness in the documentation, application, and acknowledgement of this 'patch' procedure and take steps to fix it?

I mean seriously - would you care to guess how many ppl have struggled with this and wasted LOTS of time in doing something that if properly documented and operationalized, would actually be of benefit?

How many ppl in your org did it take not to do their job in letting this get out?

Student
jasoninverbier
Message 6 of 9 (5,398 Views)

Hi all,

I'm having the same issue and no one has posted a solution. The problem described in this patch is exactly what my client is experiencing. I have tried to apply the patch via a network connection and USB with a WinXP and a Mac and it won't work. 

Does anyone have a solution to apply this patch? I am not concerned with complaining and blaming HP, I would like a solution to the issue.

Thanks,

Jason

Tutor
Patrick-London
Message 7 of 9 (5,162 Views)

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone officially from HP is listening and undertaking to fix this, as that's not apparent here.

My own firmware for a unit purchased in January 2010 is also VAx2FN0915AR.

By the way, the spell check button HP provides to check spellings on entries to this forum does not recognise the word Photosmart, which seems to sum a few things up neatly.

Student
Rhondaxxx
Message 8 of 9 (1,725 Views)

I ran the configuration page and it indicated network status "offline"  Ive tried everything

Tutor
Patrick-London
Message 9 of 9 (1,721 Views)

Re: Unable to Apply Photosmart C309a Firmware Update; restoring wireless online status

Hi,

The C309a when it works smoothly is a wonderful machine. Getting it to work smoothly is as easy as coaxing a cantankerous mule to do the same thing.

The "printer offline" syndrome sometimes happens because the printer somehow loses the radio link with its "parent" wireless router. As with many other problems, this can many times be cured by turning the printer off, then on again, to re-establish itself on the wireless network.

But the "switch off-switch on again" cycle is long, tedious, and noisy. Here's a way of slapping the mule in the radio region, which does not involve turning the entire thing off and on:

(a) with the printer's Home screen displayed, press the Setup button;

(b) in the ensuing Setup Menu, press the four-way-control-arrows button's "down arrow" four times, to arrive at "Network". Press OK;

(c) in the ensuing Network Menu, go down four clicks to the Wireless Radio option, and press OK;

(d) from the ensuing Wireless Radio menu, choose Off, and press OK. This will return you to the Wireless Radio option.

(e) press OK again and choose On, and press OK. Then press the Home button to go back to the printer's Home screen.

Usually this will re-set the printer to wirelessly "online" mode (it may take a minute for your wireless network to wake up and realise the C309a is present, once again).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation