Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Product: HP OfficeJet 6500 E710n-z

Firmware version: CIP1FN1126AR

Operating system: Mac OS 10.6.8

Error message: Unable to connect to the network. MAC address filtering may be enabled on your wireless router....

Diagnostics summary: ... No Filtering: FAIL

Here is the set-up. My MacMini is connected directly to the Internet. I have turned on Internet Sharing in OS X to share the MacMini's ethernet connection to the Internet via the MacMini's built-in AirPort Wi-Fi card. Other devices such as  iPhones are able to see the network connection and access after I supply them with the correct WEP passcode.

The HP printer can see the Wi-Fi connection, but after I provide it with the correct WEP passcode, it still won't connect, and tells me that I must have MAC address filtering enabled. The HP is still unable to wirelessly connect even when I turn off Mac OS X's firewall.

I can find no setting within Mac OS X to enter the printer's MAC address.

I would like to be able to use the printers wireless features, but can't because I can't get past this point.

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I was able to get the printer and the computer to communicate wirelessly by doing the following:

1. Connect the printer directly to the computer via ethernet cable.

2. Open the HP Utility app (version 5.0.1) > click All Settings > in the Printer Settings group, click Additional Settings > click the Open Embedded Web Server button.

3. After the Embedded Web Server opens, click the Network tab, then click the Advanced link in the Wireless (802.11) group of the left navigation sidebar.

4.1 Set Network Interface to On.

4.2 Under Network Name, set SSDI to the same entry shown at System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing > AirPort Options > Network Name field.
4.3 Under Network Settings, select Infrastructure.

4.4 Select WEP Encryption.

4.5 Set Authentication to Shared.

4.6 Enter the corresponding WEP key in the WEP Key and Confirm WEP Key fields.

4.7 Click the Apply button to save the changes.

5. Disconnect the printer from the computer by disconnecting the ethernet cable. 

6. Re-enable Internet Sharing on your Mac if needed (i.e. if you disabled it at step 4.2 to retrieve the SSID name).

After doing this, I am now able to wirelessly print documents from my MacMini to my HP OfficeJet. I have not yet tested other printer functions to see if I can scan, fax, or set up ePrint and AirPrint, but at least for basic printing I can do it wirelessly (for now).

This will suffice until I can purchase a dedicated wireless router, like an AirPort Extreme.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please check the WEP passcode configuration.

If the Authentication type is set as Shared, simply change it to Open or Auto and it should solve the problem.

You may follow the document below for further information:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02488276

I believe you will find the passcode configuration under the Network Preferences > Airport or the HP Utility (located in the Utilities folder)

Please let me know of any issue.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

The instructions in the link you posted became mostly useless at step # 1.5 because the router IP address listed at System Preferences > Network > AirPort > Advanced > TCP/IP was blank for both IPv4 and IPv6 sections. This is because the MacMini itself is the router (i.e. it is sharing out its ethernet internet connection via its Wi-Fi card).

I was able to get around the limitations in the instructions and check the settings by doing the following:

2. Open the HP Utility app (version 5.0.1) > click All Settings > in the Printer Settings group, click Additional Settings > click the Open Embedded Web Server button.

3. After the Embedded Web Server opens, click the Network tab, then click the Advanced link in the Wireless (802.11) group of the left navigation sidebar.

The Authentication type was already set to Automatic (Open then Shared)

After disconnecting the printer from the computer's ethernet cable, and reconnecting the computer's ethernet connection to the Internet, the printer would still not connect wirelessly to the computer.

I followed the remaining instructions in the link to Restore your product's network default settings and Connect to the wireless network. This resulted in the same "MAC address filtering may be enabled on your wireless router..." error that prompted this post.

Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

Hi,

The Authentication type should be set as Open or Auto by the router (For this case, the Mac OS)..

Please verify the following:

Enter System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing > Airport Options.

Try changing the security type to 128-bit WEP and then check for any change..

As much as i can find, it seems that the Mac OS X Internet Sharing provide Shared authentication type of the WEP key (which is not supported by the printer)

The information above is based on the following thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1090212?threadID=1090212&tstart=1175

And the thread below which guide to select Shared Authentication mode in order to connect to the shared connection:

http://ruzette.wordpress.com/2009/11/26/internet-sharing-on-mac-via-airport-to-windows-xp-os-x-leopa...

You may contact Apple and check for any method to change the security center within the OS

If Shared Authentication is the only available security mode, unfortunately your only options to connect the printer will be disabling any security of the internet sharing or using a router.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I was able to get the printer and the computer to communicate wirelessly by doing the following:

2. Open the HP Utility app (version 5.0.1) > click All Settings > in the Printer Settings group, click Additional Settings > click the Open Embedded Web Server button.

3. After the Embedded Web Server opens, click the Network tab, then click the Advanced link in the Wireless (802.11) group of the left navigation sidebar.

4.1 Set Network Interface to On.

4.2 Under Network Name, set SSDI to the same entry shown at System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing > AirPort Options > Network Name field.
4.3 Under Network Settings, select Infrastructure.

4.4 Select WEP Encryption.

4.5 Set Authentication to Shared.

4.6 Enter the corresponding WEP key in the WEP Key and Confirm WEP Key fields.

4.7 Click the Apply button to save the changes.

5. Disconnect the printer from the computer by disconnecting the ethernet cable. 

6. Re-enable Internet Sharing on your Mac if needed (i.e. if you disabled it at step 4.2 to retrieve the SSID name).

After doing this, I am now able to wirelessly print documents from my MacMini to my HP OfficeJet. I have not yet tested other printer functions to see if I can scan, fax, or set up ePrint and AirPrint, but at least for basic printing I can do it wirelessly (for now).

This will suffice until I can purchase a dedicated wireless router, like an AirPort Extreme.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.