Question

Top Student
himrich
Message 1 of 3 (1,877 Views)

Unable to scan from my new printer

Officejet 6500 A Plus

Mac OS 10.7.2 (Lion)

Just got it and the first time I try to scan I have this problem. In fact when I attempted to use the HP Scan 3 application that came with it I also got an error. Go figure.

Error from HP Utility: Communication Error - Unable to communicate with device. Check cables and connections. If the problem persists, try restarting your computer and HP device.

I am trying to connect via wifi so there are no cables and I rebooted both devices with no luck.

Error when attempting to launch HP Scan 3: HP Scan 3 cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with the developer to make sure HP Scan 3 works with this version of Mac OS X. Blah, blah, blah.

Jeez, I jsut bought it. I downloaded all the drivers and software from the HP web site since the DVD was a PC DVD only. 

Help please.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 3 (1,850 Views)

Re: Unable to scan from my new printer

Let's repair disk permissions on your Mac:

Open Finder and go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.

Select your Macintosh HD on the left, then click "Repair Disk Permissions" button along the bottom.

Let it finish.

Restart your Mac.

Download the latest HP printer drivers from Apple here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

I am employed by HP
Tutor
marvam
Message 3 of 3 (1,737 Views)

Re: Unable to scan from my new printer

I had EXACTLY the same problem, with the same printer and same version of Lion. I tried the Repair Disk Permissions as the tech suggested and this did nothing to help. They just sent me a new printer, I plugged it in and DARN if I don't immediately get an error message that I can not find anywhere on the HP site!!! I had MANY problems with this printer - always having to remove the printer, then add again in Systems Prefs. Not sure it really is going to work well and consistently with Lion and my Mac.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation