Question

Intern
boweasel
Message 1 of 3 (3,084 Views)

Uninstall / Reinstall Printer

Weird problem. I have an HP Photosmart Premium C309 that was a bit of a bitch to install on 7, but it's been working great for the last several months.

A couple of days ago it stopped working. I deleted everything from the print queue and tried to print a test page. Nothing. Stuck in the queue again. I deleted the job and clicked on devices and printers off the Start menu. No HP C309. It just disappeared.  How could that happen?.

I remembered that the original installaion CD was pretty much useless, since it was not engineered with 7 as a choice. So I dowloaded the installation software from the HP site. Still a no go on printing - item stuck in queue.

I redeleted, and checked the Devices and Printers. There WAS an HP C309 listed, but it had (Copy 1) suffixed to the name. I deleted the printer and clicked on the 'Add Printer' tab on that page. I eventually got a message that the software for the printer had already been installed. ?????.

I reinstalled again, and then tried to rename the printer - minus the (Copy 1). The system would not allow me to rename, saying that a printer with that name was already installed on the computer.   Say what?

So now I look for help. I don't know how to delete a device that won't display, and I have no clue how to get this somewhat less than handy device to work. It is, of course, abut 6 weeks out of warranty.

Intern
HPPRINTHERO
Message 2 of 3 (3,072 Views)

Re: Uninstall / Reinstall Printer

there are several things that could cause the software to fail during install ( NOT INSTALL ) sometimes it has something to do with the firewall on the PC that could stop any unrecognized content being installed.. thats what im thinking the initial problem couldve been...

now as far as the uninstall reinstall process .. of course you want to uninstall from the start menu... in all programs which im pretty sure youve done several times unfortunately .. thats our definition of a level one (L1) uninstall

after you (L1) uninstall the software check all programs to make sure your printer is not still there.. if its still there thats when you will process a level 2 uninstall.

open up the start menu type in the search box %TEMP% look for the "7z" folders with the latest date... most all of them will begin with 7z ... when you find the one with the latest date and time u actually last downloaded the drivers from the site open that folder.

go to the util folder scroll down to the bottom and click L2 uninstall.

after that process try reinstalling.

the second level and third level uninstall usually wipes anything that has to do with the print drivers clean on the PC.

and when youve finally got the software installed make sure that if you run into a problem with printing or scanning go to hp.com/support to run the PRINT DIAGNOSTIC and or the SCAN DIAGNOSTIC UTILITY

heres a link to the PDU (print diagnostic utility) >  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-91799-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

i am hp employed but i am also speaking through personal experiences with printers i own as well
Intern
fotomuch
Message 3 of 3 (3,057 Views)

Re: Uninstall / Reinstall Printer

I would add the following;

After using the Uninstall batch files, and before starting an install attempt, go to START, RUN and type %temp%, you'll find a lot of previous install attempts there. Delete everything you see and this will stop the install program from saying that some items are already installed.

Worked for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation