Question

Student
PHILENOT
Message 1 of 7 (1,971 Views)

Using a photosmart 1515 with Vista Home

According to the HP website, there is no downloadable printer program to use the photosmart 1215 with a new Sony VAIO laptop....   Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help...

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 7 (1,965 Views)

Re: Using a photosmart 1215 with Vista Home

For printing install the Deskjet 990 driver built into Vista, this is a good match for the Photosmart 1215.  Use the "Add printer" command from the printers folder.  You may need to first install the printer as if it were on LPT1:, then go to the hardware section and change the port to the appropriate USB port.

Regards,

Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
pwardrope
Message 3 of 7 (1,791 Views)

Sorry folks but I'm new to this and am having a problem printing from a new laptop that is running Vista.  I have an HP Photosmart 1215 tied to a desktop (running XP) through a USB port (DOT4_001).  The desktop is hooked to a wireless router to my modem.

I can see and access the files on the desktop, but not the printer.  I have "installed" drivers for the 1215, 990, and 7200 series all to no avail.  When I go to print, I select the printer and it appears to print until I open the window for the printer and see the error message (no message really - it just states there is an error.

I have another laptop that runs XP and have installed the 1215 on it and don't have any problems.  I can also print via the wireless network to this printer from another old desktop.

Can anyone help?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 7 (1,745 Views)

Could you please confirm the cartridges that are used with your printer?  The Photosmart 1215 uses the #45 and #78 cartrdiges.  I suspect you have a PSC 1215.  If so there will be different drivers....

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Honor Student
pwardrope
Message 5 of 7 (1,703 Views)

Bob,

Thanks for your help.  I do have the Photosmart 1215 (78 & 45 cartridges).  So far I've tried drivers for the 990, 7200, and PSC1200 - none work.

Here's what i have - I have a wireless network with a desktop has the printer connected to it via a USB port.  I have 2 laptops, one with XP and 1 with Vista.  Both laptops can access the printer with the XP unit not having  any issues printing.  The Vista unit sees the printer and says it prints but nothing comes out.  I can't change the driver for the printer from the Vista unit.  I've tried adding a new printer connected through a virtual USB port and a variety of drivers.

Nothing works.  Do I really need to buy a new printer?

Thanks, Pete
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 7 (1,585 Views)

OK, you need to go to "add printer" on the Vista laptop, add a local printer, create a new port, standard tcp/ip port, name \\desktop\printername  (where you put in the actual computer and printer share names), select the Deskjet 990.  The PSC 1200 driver will certainly not work and I suspect the 7200 driver would not work in best or any photo modes.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Honor Student
pwardrope
Message 7 of 7 (1,538 Views)

Bob,

Thanks but Vista won't let me enter the name \\office\hpphotos  That area is grayed out and won't let me enter anything.  I'm really ready to give up and get a network printer.

Unless you have another suggestion, I'm finished (frustrated is more like it).

>>> Pete

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation