Using too much ink!!!! (4617 Views)
Student
progressiveALLY
Message 1 of 5 (4,617 Views)

Using too much ink!!!!

We started our business in January of this year and we already bought over 7 ink cartridges for our HP Officejet J3480 All-in-one printer. We are a small business so we do not print out a lot.  What am I doing wrong?  The ink should not be out that fast!!!!!!  HELP!
Top Student
susanzzw7
Message 2 of 5 (4,606 Views)

Re: Using too much ink!!!!

I have an HP deskjet F4140 and it is the same with this one......now i just replace only the black ink, color ink goes even faster...i would not buy another HP again b/c of this....and the **bleep** cartriges cost almost as much as a new printer!!!!   it is crazy....

but no, you aren't doing anything wrong.....

Teacher
boykot
Message 3 of 5 (4,579 Views)

hello,,

in that kind of problem, you better try to get another printer or try to call hp and have a replacement for that. the printing mechanism of the printer has a problem. it is spraying too much ink. that is the only solution.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 5 (4,548 Views)

The J3480 is designed as a low usage home printer.  The cartridges are relatively small, the #21 is rated at 200 pages and the slightly larger #27 is rated at 330 pages according to HP's testing.  Which cartridges are you using?  The #27 would be a better value, but for a small business a different printer may be a better choice.  I noticed in yesterday's Staples ad an HP Officejet Pro L7590 at $169 with an additional discount of $50 with a printer trade-in.  This unit has much larger cartridges, 880 pages for the black #88 and 2450 pages for the #88xl cartridges, see here for details.

Regards,

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Student
Anchorage
Message 5 of 5 (4,534 Views)

Yeah. I could not believe the number of ink cartridges this sucks in  -- 14 cartridges in 3 months and I only print 200 pages a week. I wished I had kept my old c720. I did buy a universal black ink refill kit from Office Max ($13). It's messy but seems to partially work. I've refilled the black ink cartridge twice now. I get all kinds of threat messages from the printer (this will viod your warranty and it will not display the ink level) but it seems to work. I should get 8 refills from the kit.

Never HP again

Anchorage

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation