Question

Honor Student
fannypack96
Message 1 of 16 (7,353 Views)
Accepted Solution

Vista OfficeJet 6110 will not print Black Catridge Only (I always get color)

I cannot get my Vista with OfficeJet 6110 to print Black Catridge Only, i.e., I always get COLOR in my print.

NOTE:  I have BLUE text in my .odt file and I want to print with Black Cartridge Only but I alaways get BLUE in the output...

I hope Bob Headrick is reading this....

Grad Student
pradeep
Message 2 of 16 (7,334 Views)

Re: Vista OfficeJet 6110 will not print Black Catridge Only (I always get color)

Did you check for the ink levels in the black cartridge as the issue seems to be with the cartridge.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 16 (7,274 Views)

Re: Vista OfficeJet 6110 will not print Black Catridge Only (I always get color)

What printer driver settings are you using?    I cannot install the Officejet 6110 driver but I tried the following with the Deskjet 6500 driver:  In the "Printing Shortcuts" tab select "Fast/Economical Printing" in the "What do you want to do?" tab.  IN the "Color Options" dropdown box at the bottom select "Black Print Cartrdige Only", then Apply. For good measure go to the Advanced tab and Enable the "Print All Text as Black" in the "Printer Features" tab, then Apply, OK.

A similar procedure should give good results with the Officejet 6110.  If not you could install the Deskjet 6500 driver by going to Add Printer, select Local Printer, select the USB port the 6110 is on and then  pick the HP Deskjet 6500 Series driver.  You could have both the Officejet 6110 and DEskjet 6500 drivers installed at the same time, they should not conflict.

Regards,

Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
fannypack96
Message 4 of 16 (7,262 Views)

Bob Headrick's Prevous Post (part of it):

What printer driver settings are you using?    I cannot install the Officejet 6110 driver but I tried the following with the Deskjet 6500 driver:  In the "Printing Shortcuts" tab select "Fast/Economical Printing" in the "What do you want to do?" tab.  IN the "Color Options" dropdown box at the bottom select "Black Print Cartrdige Only", then Apply. For good measure go to the Advanced tab and Enable the "Print All Text as Black" in the "Printer Features" tab, then Apply, OK.

Bob,

I was using the 6110 driver with only these settings:  COLOR Tab: selected "Print in Grayscale" and "Black Cartridge Only".

Your instructions above worked and I got ONLY Black print (i.e., no BLUE) but I did have to use the Advanced Tab suggestion .

I used Apply and OK in Both TABS as u described above but when I come back the next time to print, these selections for the TABS:

"Printing Shortcuts"  & Advanced , do NOT have my setting from the previous use of "Selecting printer preferences"...

Any ideas?

Btw, did your setting remain as you described above when you attempted to Print another time?

For now I will be checking the settings in the "Advanced" & "Printing Shortcuts" to ensure that I get Black Only...

Master's Graduate
frprinterwiz
Message 5 of 16 (7,244 Views)

If you want the changes to be permanent you will need to open up your Printers window through your Control Panel.  Right click on the driver icon and select Properties, then Printing Preferences.  From there you will see your familiar tabs and can make the selections for black printing.  Once you save those they become the default settings in your applications when you select print.  In fact you may want to make a copy of the driver and then after making adjustments to one, rename it as BW Printer or something to that effect so that you just have to select the driver in the drop down menu for color or b/w printing.
insert signature here
Honor Student
Rajveer
Message 6 of 16 (6,420 Views)

[ Edited ]

Sorry for resurrecting, but I still have this problem with my Officejet 6110 and what you explained doesn't work for me (I'm printing an image, not text, so the "Print All Text As Black" option doesn't work for it).

I'm using 2 Vista Home Premium PCs, one 32-bit and one 64-bit, both using the default Vista driver, and I can't get grayscale working. I can't find any Vista drivers on HP's website to update to for any of the 6100 series. Using Windows Update I found a driver - "Hewlett-Packard - Imaging, Printing - hp officejet 6100", however updating to this driver still doesn't enable grayscale.

Grayscale works fine with my laptop running XP Home, so it's definately the Vista drivers, or rather the lack of them. 

Any ideas?

Message Edited by Rajveer on 03-04-2009 01:29 PM
Message Edited by Rajveer on 03-04-2009 01:29 PM
Honor Student
Rajveer
Message 7 of 16 (6,359 Views)

Anybody got any ideas?

Top Student
toomanybarts
Message 8 of 16 (5,636 Views)

I am having the same problems -frustrating isnot the word...

(It is kind of comical that we have all these various new features and configurable options and all most people want are the basics " print in colour or print in b & w"!)

Honor Student
Rajveer
Message 9 of 16 (5,625 Views)

I had a long conversation with HP support via email over this issue. There are a set of Vista drivers apparently in the works, however this answer was given to me at the beginning of March and since nothing has come out, I can only assume they're deliberetly not going to create/release them so people will have to upgrade.

I kept asking for a date, but they said that for "competitive" reasons they cannot tell me, which to me doesn't make sense as this kind of service will make customers want to choose another brand next time.

Top Student
toomanybarts
Message 10 of 16 (5,616 Views)

I wont be choosing HP again, my 6110 had a problem, tech support's solution "buy a new one" - needless to say I found the solution on another website and the printer has been fine ever since (via XP and not with this VISTA issue!).
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation