Windows 7 upgrade/installation of J4500 printer (488 Views)
Student
rdwho
Message 1 of 1 (488 Views)

Windows 7 upgrade/installation of J4500 printer

I bought a HP E9107CB desktop about 2 years ago with VISTA OS, but with free upgrade to Windows 7 when available.  I also bought a HP all-in-one printer J4580, product number about a year and half ago.  Both worked fine under the VISTA OS.  I finally get around to upgrade to Window 7 a week ago.  Everything worked according to the upgrade package provided by HP, except the reinstallation of the printer.  I followed instructions to download a full version of the Windows 7 driver/software for the J4500 series printer, but a "fatal installation error" was noted during the "configuring the product" phase of the installation.  I tried the diagnostics procedures provided by HP as well as other suggestions from the HP web pages, but no success of solving the problem

I then contacted HP tech support.  The tech was helpful and spent a couple of hours with me, but again no success of solving the problem.  I was directed to a "HP printer expert" who immediately told me that the printer is no longer supported and offered to sell me anew one.

After the installation failure, I was not able to get into the solution center, but I was able to print certain data, mainly jpg files as well as some pdf files, but definitely I was not able to print from Microsoft Office or directly print from a web page.  After playing with the problem awhile, I am able to find a work around to print anything.  mainly I have to first print to the Microsoft XPS Document Writer, and then print the saved XPS file to the J4500 printer, using the procedure I was able to print everything.  It should be noted that the printer icon on the "Devices and Printer"  page is labeled as "HP Officejet J4500 series (XPS)". 

Seems like a very specific problem that someone must have encountered.  Any ideas of a fix?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation