Question

Honor Student
shipsofglassinc
Message 1 of 1 (409 Views)

Windows 8 HP Laserjet 1100 Printer in Error Status

I have a new Dell Inspiron 17R with Windows8.  I have a HP Laserjet 1100 (firmware date code 19981118) that has a HP DB25 (PN 8120 8668) cable to which I have attached a DB25 to USB cable (no manufacturer or pn).  This printer and cable worked fine with my Dell Vista system.

When I print a document the document sits in the queue, W8 tells me the printer is in error status.

I had a very hard time installing this printer.  At first I had some USB problems and when thel USB cable was installed the system did not respond.  I had to download new USB drivers from Intel.  Now when the USB cable is installed the system responds with 4 tones.  I have watched the Device management screen when cable is inserted and it flashes as if it recognized it.

Under Device Manager the printer is listed in the print queue and the device utilities says it is working properly.  The printer has not shown up as a printer under Printers.

I have installed and removed this printer several times.  Now when I try to install it it says the printer is already installed and it must have a new name.  It is not listed in either the queue or on the printer list page.

I have manually installed the drivers using the Windows Update during the add a printer process.  

For some reason I am leaning towards the USB 2 cable on a USB 3 port.  I had a Neat Scanner that W8 did not even see when the cable was plugged in.  I cannot tell if the USB to DB25 cable is complilant but it worked fine on a USB 2 port on my old system.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation