Windows 8 can not find USB connected C7280 after connecting via wireless (175 Views)
Honor Student
BroJohn
Message 1 of 7 (175 Views)

Windows 8 can not find USB connected C7280 after connecting via wireless

C7280 All-in-One Printer was working connected via USB on Windows 7 PC.  Upgraded to Window 8 (64bit) no problem

Network running over Verizon wireless 3G hotspot.  Upgraded Laptop to Windows 8 (32bit) and set up homegroup for sharing including the printer.  Everything worked.

Upgraded Hotspot to 3g/4g and again all is well with all components.

Decided to change printer to wireless connection so PC did not have to be on to print from laptop.  I did this by disconnecting the USB cable from the printer, setting it up on the network and then adding the wireless printer on both PC's.  All still good.  I did not remove the USB  printer definitions when I did this and they were still there.

Decided to go back to direct connect as the network performance was inconsistent and primary print need was from desktop.  Desktop PC did not recognize the printer when connected to USB.  It is also not recognized when connected via USB to the laptop.

I have disabled, removed all printer definitions, uninstalled the print drivers including HP Solution Center and downloaded and reinstalled HP Solution Center. Disabled and removed the Homegroup and turned off sharing to eliminate any reference to the old instances of the printer.  I have used the install wizard which failed several times and I followed the instructions including the start programs step.  I also tried print and scan doctor to no avail.  At no point did either PC  recognize the existance of a printer on a usb port.

I eventually went back and uninstalled and reinstalled connecting via wireless and have a successful install but want to direct connect the printer via USB.

I have verified that all 6 USB ports on my PC are functional and have changed cables to a new one - again no go.

It was working and I had printer and PC powered off when I disconnected USB cable initially so I have no reason to believe the USB port on the printer is defective although I would like to know if there is any way to test that.

I am at a loss for what to do next.  I have a working system because of the wireless connection but it is not optimal.  So while I'm not desperate for a solution I would like to figure it out.

Thanks for reading to the end.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 2 of 7 (159 Views)

Re: Windows 8 can not find USB connected C7280 after connecting via wireless

Hello BroJohn

The best way to isolate the problem would be to find a computer that has never installed your printer before (perhaps a friend can bring a laptop over) and install it on that computer.

As for correcting the problem I would like to ask for a bit more detail as to what happens when you say "It is not recognized when connected to USB". You have isolated the problem and if the problem with USB persists on both machines it is unlikely to be the the cable or USB ports, but it can still be a problem with the USB port on the printer itself. If you open Device Manager when connected through USB can you locate the printer?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Honor Student
BroJohn
Message 3 of 7 (152 Views)

Still have the problem and believe it is probably the USB port on the printer.  I live out int the country about 40 miles from anyone with a laptop, so it will be a while before I can test that theory, but I have wireless connection working well for now.

I have tried working through device manager and can not see anything connected to a USB port when I plug in the printer.  I've also tested all the USB ports using a flash drive and USB camera and you can see them both when conneted to any of the ports.  My laptop is almost in a virgin state at the moment and I'm considering resetting it to factory settings and starting from scratch with it.  That would give me the "new" computer to test with.

I'll post my results when I get a computer I can attach that has no prior knowledge of the printer.  For now this will have to go dormant.

Thanks 

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 4 of 7 (147 Views)

You're welcome BroJohn

Thanks for letting me know that it might be awhile before you can test the printer on a "new" computer. Yes you could factory restore your laptop, however, it seems like a lot of work if the printer is currently working on the network.

Also you mention that the reason you wanted to switch back to USB was because of network performance was inconsistent; would you like me to help troubleshoot that problem? I have seen people have mixed success with using Mobile Hotspots with their printers, but I have seen them work. Do you have a static IP address set?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

Honor Student
BroJohn
Message 5 of 7 (142 Views)

Not exactly sure what you mean by static IP address.  The hotspot is at 198.162.1.1 and the printer is always 198.162.1.3

We are extremely remote and when kids get out of school, and get on their phones, it appears they are overloading the tower.  Verizons opinion as well.  All that said, I am looking into getting an external antenna for the hotspot to improve my link.

No other realistic options for highspeed internet at the moment and Verizon says it will only get better as they continue to build out their 4G network,  Unfortunately I am in a 3G sometimes 1X area so will definitely be last.

Anyway if you want to take a minute and look via the ip address go for it.

For now I'm doing fine with the set up as is.

Thanks.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 6 of 7 (141 Views)

Hello BroJohn

What I mean by static IP address is typically a router or hotspot will automatically assign devices that connect to it an IP address. In many cases manually setting your printer's IP address adds stability and helps prevent conflicting address from being assigned by the router/hotspot.

Below is an article that covers some things to try to help with maintaining a wireless connection.

Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 7 of 7 (122 Views)

Hello BroJohn

I was curious if that article helped improve your printer connectivity on the network?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation