Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Can anyone help me to get the OfficeJet 6500a Plus e710n printer icon to display properly in Devices and Printers?

I recently reinstalled Windows 8.1.  However, when I installed my printer, instead of the printer icon appearing in Devices and Printers I get a generic yellow Windows folder icon.  The Fax icon is OK, just the printer icon is wrong.

OfficeJet bug.PNG

If I double click on the icon, I get a mostly blank page with a message near the top saying: "Updated information is available about your device.  Click here to download or learn more."  If I click on the notice, a dropdown menu appears with "Download updated information" or "Learn more".  If I choose downloaded update information, a new printer window appears which is mostly blank except for a message at the centre of the window which says, "No tasks are available on this page"  The Learn more option just gives me info about updating drivers.

The printer icon on the Start menu is fine.

I've used HP Print and Scan Doctor to uninstall and reinstall my printer but this hasn't helped.  The program found a problem with the printer driver and fixed it, but that hasn't changed the icon either.

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit fully up to date, and used the latest full version of the HP installation program for the printer (not the basic version) and HP Print and Scan Doctor v4.6.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try following these steps and let me know if that may help:

1. From the control Panel select Network and internet and open the Network and Sharing Center.
  2. Click on Change Advanced Sharing Center.
  3. Ensure that Network Discovery is trned on but uncheck the box next to "Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices".
  4. From devices and printer right click the printer and select Remove Device, repeat the for the Fax icon.
    Note: if no such option exists for the printer follow the next steps.
  5. Right click the background area and select Device Mahager.
  6. Remove any instance of the printer from Imaging Devices, Printers, Print Queues, Multifunction Adaptors, Other Devices (if a such exists).
  7. Once you are done the printer should no longer appear under Devices and Printers...
  8. Open teh HP Officejet 6500 E710 software, select Connect a new Printer and check for any differnce.

Hope that helps,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try following these steps and let me know if that may help:

1. From the control Panel select Network and internet and open the Network and Sharing Center.
  2. Click on Change Advanced Sharing Center.
  3. Ensure that Network Discovery is trned on but uncheck the box next to "Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices".
  4. From devices and printer right click the printer and select Remove Device, repeat the for the Fax icon.
    Note: if no such option exists for the printer follow the next steps.
  5. Right click the background area and select Device Mahager.
  6. Remove any instance of the printer from Imaging Devices, Printers, Print Queues, Multifunction Adaptors, Other Devices (if a such exists).
  7. Once you are done the printer should no longer appear under Devices and Printers...
  8. Open teh HP Officejet 6500 E710 software, select Connect a new Printer and check for any differnce.

Hope that helps,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks.  That solved the problem.

HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 6700 software magically vanished while ISP connection fluttered. Reinstating printer required multiple attemptes at reinstallation. Only the last one was successful in restoring the display of the HP printer and HP fax icons in "Devices and Printers." Never had similar problems with Windows 7 Pro; Windows 10 Pro appears to be the culprit - again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.