Question

Honor Student
RainyMan789
Message 1 of 10 (2,428 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows RT and LaserJet Pro 1606dn - not working

Hi - according to HP's Windows 8 info page (here), the HP LaserJet Pro 1606dn should be fully supported in Windows RT with an in-OS driver.  However it's not working.  On my Surface, running Windows RT, when I go to PC Settings and then Devices, the 1606dn is listed but it's called "NPIB8D6C3 (HP LaserJet Professional P1606dn)" and below that it says "Not compatible with this version of Windows".  I have run Windows Update and there are no more updates to be had.

I did turn on network sharing for my network.  (This is on a home network.)

Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks!

RainyMan789

Grad Student
SophiaS
Message 2 of 10 (2,407 Views)

Re: Windows RT and LaserJet Pro 1606dn - not working

[ Edited ]

Could you please provide3 pieces of information so HP may investigate?

1) What version of Firmware is your LaserJet running?

hold down the "go" button for 1/2 second, this will print out a configuration page that lists the version of firmware

you can get the latest firmware:  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=bi-95182-4&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

2) What router are you using?

3) What were the install steps you used to get the print driver?

(do I correctly read you connected your RT to your network, then the printer showed as available as:   "NPIB8D6C3 (HP LaserJet Professional P1606dn)").  You didn't do any other install steps?

If I have helped you solve your issue please mark it as solved .....

(I am an HP employee)
Honor Student
RainyMan789
Message 3 of 10 (2,372 Views)

Solved!  Someone suggested that I upgrade my 1606dn printer firmware, which I hadn't thought of.  There was a recent firmware update that includes Windows 8 support.  I installed the latest firmware and now it works like a charm.  In any case, thanks for your reply!!

Honor Student
FormerFan
Message 4 of 10 (2,111 Views)

The comment says 'solved' but highly doubt that.  (Must have been referring to Windows 8 on x86.)

HP doesn't support the P1606dn for Windows RT.

I've tried countless times to install a printer driver for the P1606dn on my Microsoft Surface and there's nothing to install.

I've updated the printer firmware to the latest availabe (20120814) and despite what the hp web site says, it doesn't support windows on ARM.

I've tried hooking the MS Surface directly to the printer via USB and still no go.

It doesn't work and it's not supported.  Which really sucks!

Honor Student
RainyMan789
Message 5 of 10 (2,098 Views)

No, I was referring to Surface (MSFT's Windows RT tablet), and doubt not, it works for me.

The P1606dn *is* supported by HP for Windows RT; see http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03168175&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en#N51422 (article titled "Supported Printers for Windows 8".

It looks like you've installed the correct firmware on the printer.  Don't try doing USB install; just do it over the network.

Also, don't attempt to install a driver on your Surface; that won't work.  That happens automatically once it finds your printer over the network.

BTW have you confirmed that your Surface can actually see the printer?

Try this: to go "Devices" on your Surface and remove the printer.  Then re-add the printer.  That's what worked for me.  But in any case, yes, this configuration is fully supported by HP.

If that doesn't work, you need to clarify what you mean by "not supported".  What exactly are you seeing when you uninstall it (if appropriate) and then try to install it?

Honor Student
ty27w
Message 6 of 10 (1,898 Views)

Solution doesn't work for me.  I have updated both the firmware and the drivers/software on my windows 7 desktop.  I tried connecting to the printer via the network and the Surface software can't find the Surface RT printer driver.  Eventually, it asks for the location of the INF file.

Any suggestions?

Honor Student
ty27w
Message 7 of 10 (1,852 Views)

Success!  Unplugged printer from USB/Desktop and connected it to an ethernet cable.  Was able to find and connect to 1606 printer via the Surface and successfully printed a Word document.

Student
jimisang
Message 8 of 10 (1,750 Views)

So although your posts helped, they didnt work for me with my surface RT. I kept getting asked for the driver.

I was however able to install the printer using the above method on a regular windows 8 machine.

the driver IS on the microsoft surface, if, when it asks for the printer type, go to HP and select

"HP LaserJet Mono PCLmS Class Driver"

That is the one you want to print to the 1606.

Things to check if you are still having problems.

Printer will not work over usb on the Surface RT "at least that i saw"

Make sure you can ping the ip address of the printer from your Surface RT

I would connect to the printers web interface before doing this to give it a more friendly name

browse to the printers ip address, click the networking section, the name is at the top, its called something like NPIXXXXXXX where the x's are random numbers and letters.

on the surface RT after you can ping the printer, scan for devices, hopefully it finds the printer, if it doesnt add via ip address. if it asks for driver, click on the HP section and scroll down and select

"HP LaserJet Mono PCLmS Class Driver"

This was bugging me for a long time, so i created an account here just to post this solution for others.

Hope It Helps!

Honor Student
FormerFan
Message 9 of 10 (1,734 Views)

Thanks, jmisang!

With those specifics I was able to get the Surface to print to the P1606dn.

I did try manually installing a class driver before but I tried the postscript version instead of the PCL version and it didn't work for me.

Apologies to RainyMan789 for doubting the success with the P1606dn.

In theory the firmware should include the printer driver which the printer can offer to your computer to download and install.  On the Surface it only offers the x86 executable for the printer driver and so my opinion was that the printer didn't support WindowsOnARM and Surface.

Student
rtlite
Message 10 of 10 (976 Views)

I was going nuts over this issue. Began to think I had a brick. Your fix woked for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation