Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've just bought an HP 6700 and have exactly the same problem.

I'm in the UK and have used the supplied phone cord together with the RJ45 to British Telecom converter plug.

I get passes on the fax test escept for the phone cord which says I'm using the wrong one.

I've looked at the HP suplied cord - it has four wires. I don't know if this is correct for a UK set up or not.

Would someone from HP please assist?

Thanks

Mike.

HP Recommended

I had the same problrm with my  Photosmart 7520 all in one printer when I tried to send a fax. HP support was absolutely no help at all, insistilng that the HP supplyede cable  was the only one that would work and my only option was to move the printer closer to the phone jack.  WRONG ANSWER!!  I pluggrd the 2-wire HP cord into the back of the printer.  The other end Iplugged into a regular 4-wire connector.  I plugged a regular 4-wire phone cord  in the other side and ran it to the phone wall jack.  Tne printer can omly read the 2-wire connection tthat is plugged into it and everything works perfectly.

HP Recommended

Apparently the product designers at HP are not as smart as those at other companies that make fax machines that do work with common-4-wire cords.

2-wire cords are available at http://www.cordsforphones.com/coso2licohpf.html 

HP Recommended

Thank you for this link!:smileyhappy:  I just checked my phone line and it is a 4 wire...even the new one I bought hoping that was the problem.  I have a much shorter 2 wire but it won't reach! I hope this does the trick as I have gone around and around with AT&T and U-Verse.  The U-Verse supervisors in my area won't even send the installer back, though I have been able to talk with him since he provided his cell number on installation.  WHY doesn't someone at AT&T or U-Verse know how to fix this problem??  It seems to be a very common problem unfortunately!  Again, thank you! 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip.I did the exact same thing for my 7520 and it worked.

Nobody at Office Max or Best Buy ever heard of this issue.

I wonder who the genius is that engineered this. Not everyone has their printer on top of there computer.

I couldn't find a long 2 wire cable anywhere.

HP Recommended

I have the same question for that 'genius' in HP, who would rely on unused two wires to design a circuit. A Hardware Engineer needs to have basic understanding of Voltage and Current.

HP Recommended

Hello HP Hardware guys...will you please explain to the world your idea behind this 2 wire design?

HP Recommended

Grandma48, I have been trying to set up my FAX with U-Verse for two months and just get frustrated and give up.  Can you tell me where you plugged in the phone chord?  Did you plug it into the long thin U-Verse Modem?  HELP!  I'm having to PAY for Faxes because I can't get my home fax set-up.  I have the same printer you do.

HP Recommended

I was using Vonage for home phone and fax and after buying the cables suggested by mmarcus at the website (http://www.cordsforphones.com/coso2licohpf.html). My fax incoming and outgoing worked. Hope this is not a racket by HP HW team 🙂 . Also note that pressing 1,2,3 when you get an incoming fax still works, thought instruction manual doesn't mention this. That is lift your phone, hear fax tones and just press 123 in your handset and this signals the fax machine to pick up the call.

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for the link to purchase the cords.  Most helpful.

Irritating that the issue exists with little support from HP to solve.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.