cartridge missing or not detected c4580 (24917 Views)
Tutor
bv_Andy
Message 1 of 31 (24,917 Views)
Accepted Solution

cartridge missing or not detected c4580

[ Edited ]

Today my all-in-one C4580 printer Printed a page VERY slow and after I turned it off and back on The Error message appeared "Print Cartridge(s) missing or not detected".

I searched the forum and found a similar problem someone had a few months ago, to which DexterM replied and I have followed the same steps given there, I tried cleaning the cartridge and resetting (unplugging from wall) but I still have the message.

So I printed the  Self-Test Report:  

for code=10

16. PX = 4

53. PX = 4

63. PX = 4

54. HP = 1

64. HP = 1

56. STAT = 0

66. STAT = 0

57 LOI = 64

67 LOI = 44

and with black cartridge removed code=43 the results are the same as his:

1 2  3 4 5 6 7 8    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Dxxx:     .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .    o o o o o o o o 

Sxxxxx:  .  .  .  .  .  .  .      o o o o o o o

I hope someone can help me.

thankx

out of curiosity I left only black cartridge inside the printer and reprinted de code=43 self-test page, and it worked, with results:

1 2  3 4 5 6 7 8    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Dxxx:     o o o o o o o o     . .  .  .  .  .  . .

Sxxxxx:  o o o o o o o       . .  .  .  .  .  .

how come the black cartridge even worked?

again thx.

Please help, I need my printer and i wan't to know what I have to do.. :smileysad:

Message Edited by bv_Andy on 09-22-2009 11:43 AM
Message Edited by bv_Andy on 09-23-2009 02:01 AM
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 31 (24,900 Views)

Re: cartridge missing or not detected c4580

OK. Seems like you have tried almost everything. Unfortunately, the results from the test pages you printed doesn't help me pinpoint the issue. I suggest you try to reset the printer. remove the cartridges before starting these steps.

1. Press the Power button and the Cancel button at the same time and release them. The display will show 'Enter Special Key Combo'.
2. Now press the Blue(Scan), Green(Color Copy) and Grey(Black Copy) buttons one after the other. The display will show 'Support <Firmware ID>'
3. Press the Blue button 2 times. Display will show 'Reset Menu'. Now Press OK. If the display still shows Reset Menu after pressing OK, then press the Green button.
4. Press the Grey button. Display should show 'Semi-Full Reset'. Now Press OK\Green button. The printer will shut off.
5. Turn on the printer, and then select your Language and Country.

Reinsert the cartridges once you do this. If you still get the same message, then open the HP Solution Center program on your PC, and check the Ink level gauge or the Status of the printer. It should tell you which print cartridge has the problem. Replace that cartridge. If it works, then call HP so that they can replace the faulty cartridge for you.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Tutor
bv_Andy
Message 3 of 31 (24,873 Views)

:smileysad: unfortunatly the reset didn't work. Thanx for your help, I'll buy a new cartridge and see if it works.
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 31 (24,863 Views)

Please do post the outcome after installing a new cartridge.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Student
highbluff
Message 5 of 31 (24,799 Views)

I just opened my new HP C4580 and am having the same issue setting up the printer.  I installed the cartridges per he instructions and get the message "Print Cartridge(s) missing or not detected.  I tried the troubleshooting below and it did not work.

What a piece of crap printer this is.  No wonder it was a give away at the Apple store with the purchase of a new laptop. This is clearly a problem that HP does not give a crap about fixing.   

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 6 of 31 (24,782 Views)

highbluff wrote:

I just opened my new HP C4580 and am having the same issue setting up the printer.  I installed the cartridges per he instructions and get the message "Print Cartridge(s) missing or not detected.  I tried the troubleshooting below and it did not work.

What a piece of crap printer this is.  No wonder it was a give away at the Apple store with the purchase of a new laptop. This is clearly a problem that HP does not give a crap about fixing.   

Did you even try contacting HP and see what they can do about it???

I am an ex-HP Employee.
Tutor
bv_Andy
Message 7 of 31 (24,475 Views)

i received today the new cartridge and it works! Thanks for your help.
Student
Oddman24
Message 8 of 31 (23,852 Views)

I have a similar issue, I purchased the C4580 about a week ago, I printed a few pages of b&w text and then installed the software CD this week to use the scanning functionality. I printed one photo, then ever since it has been displaying the 'Print Cartridge(s) missing or not detected' error message. I have followed the cleaning steps in the manual and the reset instructions here, but I am still getting this message - I have replaced the troublesome black cartridge but still the same message - what are the chances of having two faulty cartridges? What should I do now?
Tutor
bv_Andy
Message 9 of 31 (23,837 Views)

I can not help you, and I don't think DexterM , who helped me, is going to see your post here. I sugest you make another threat but I think you might have to send your printer back for repaires... sorry.
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 10 of 31 (23,792 Views)

bv_Andy wrote:
I can not help you, and I don't think DexterM , who helped me, is going to see your post here. I sugest you make another threat but I think you might have to send your printer back for repaires... sorry.

Someone called?

@Oddman24: Have you tried cleaning the electrical contacts on the back of the print cartridges and in the slot where the cartridges are inserted?

I am an ex-HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation