Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Help - I need to change the IP address on my HP photosmart plus series B209.  How do I do this!!

40 REPLIES 40
HP Recommended

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's current IP address (make sure it is not 0.0.0.0 or 169.254.x.x - if it is you have another problem).
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know this, enter the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank. Click 'Apply'

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

what if the IP starts with 169. i have tried accessing that on a browser but i cant..what do i need to do?

HP Recommended
That's a result of your router not assigning the printer an IP address due to some communication issues. Make sure the printer and the router are in range, and that there are no physical objects obstructing them, ex. walls. Also, try restarting your router and your printer, and then check if the printer gets a valid IP address.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
HP Recommended

169.254 address mean the printer does not have a DHCP address from your router, and it will not be accessible as the PC have another subnet mask provided by the router.

In order to resolve the problem, reset the wireless settings and then reconfigure it to the network:

Click Start > Programs > HP > HP Photosmart B209 Series > Reconfigure Wireless connection and follow the steps.

If you unable to complete the configuration, please clarify your operating system so i may offer any further steps according.

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

My OS is Vista and my printer is Photosmart Ink Advantage K510, under it i dont see "reconfigure wireless. I tried using HPHNDU file dowloaded from the HP site. Note: I wa able to use my unit wirelessly in the past 2 months but suddenly I cant access it wirelessly anymore starting yesterday. Thanks again!

HP Recommended

I have also tried reconfiguring my router for WPA but it did not work as well, although I wsnt really sure if that would solve it but I am just trying everything

HP Recommended

Hi,

In order to reconfigure the wireless connection for your product, try the following steps:

From your printer, touch setup, then touch Network.

Select Restore Network Defaults, the network configuration will reset.

touch setup, then touch Network., then select Wireless Setup Wizard.

Select your router name and complete the configuration steps.

Then check if the printer has been assigned correctly, reboot your PC and check if you are able to use the printer.

Please let me know of any change,

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks but I have done this several times already, any other suggestions. It will say successfully connected but when the print out comes out, it still says IP 169. and the printer is not available in the network. Also I am not sure why this happened when we were able to use this for almost 2 months wihtout a glitch.

HP Recommended

What if the number is the 169.254.xx.xx? What do I do to change it?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.