Question

Honor Student
kmwhtt
Message 1 of 4 (134 Views)

computer printer driver compatibility issues

have a hp officejet 8500a plus all in one printer connected wireless to network.  ive always had several devices...desktop, laptops, and even my android phone connected to network and printer, all able to print preferfectly.  

recently purchased a dell xps windows 8 ultrabook. after connecting to network printer and trying to print, the issues started immedetialy and no longer able to print from any device.  

already attempted several different fixes from my desktop including (itcrowd turn off and on ) deleting all print drivers, hp software, reboots, reloading and updates with no success,  then hrs  on phone 2 different days with hp tec support with no success and only suggestion call dell.  another day and hrs on phone with dell.  issue still not fixed

tried again myself.  what discovered so far...desktop is dell windows 7, laoptop dell windows 8.  if i delete printer drivers/software from both PCs, reboot everything (printer, router, modem, computer) and reinstall on desktop w windows 7, printer works fine on desktop, so then install printer software on laptop windows 8 and no more working printer...error message on laptop, driver conflict message on desktop.    go thru whole delete, reboot on everything and this time reinstall on laptop first...printer works on laptop only, so now also reinstall on desktop and again unfunctioning printing.  as a side note, had a lenova windows 8 ultrabook and no issues with printer desktop compatibility. so dont think it is completly a windows 7/8 issue

tried to convince both hp and dell support there is an obvious compatibility issue with drivers on dell windows 8 laptop and dell windows 7 desktop but noone can fix.   please help!!!!  have huge med exams and need all systems working properly asap

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 2 of 4 (107 Views)

Re: computer printer driver compatibility issues

To start out sounds like this is a driver issue. I want to start with being sure that the removal of the software and reinstallation happened in the best possible fashion. I want you to follow my steps so I can be sure that we are both starting on the same page.

First if you use a USB cord, make sure to remove it (this is important). Do not plug it back in until the software directs you to. Then go through the Devices and Printers, Programs and Features and Device Manager folders and insure that all copies, files, and programs related to the printer are removed. Then as directed, restart the computer.

In the START menu type "%temp%" and press ENTER. Here I want you to press Ctrl+A and hit DELETE. Some of the files will not allow you to delete them, skip those files and delete the majority that allows it.

find and install the FULL FEATURE SOFTWARE if it is available :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4116838

Install that and let me know the result!

Have a great day!

-Spencer

Honor Student
kmwhtt
Message 3 of 4 (99 Views)

Hello Spencer, thanks for your reply and assistance.  Unfortunately did not work.  I have tried every form of delete and reintall. including uninstalling every program that said Hewlette Packard or HP in the program and features, a manual uninstall, deleting C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS, running ccleaner, deleting registry, tempory files, your method and rebooting after each to ensure a clean reload.  then downloaded drivers direct from hp website.   the printer is connected wirelessly so no usb cable.     nothing works.  still error message on laptop.   

ps.   I tried all the above on laop top.  and everything but your %temp% on desktop.   printer works fine on everything if completly deleted from laptop, as soon as install on laptop printer wont work on any device.  if i delete printer from desktop and just load on laptop, will work at that moment but after sleep mode or any downtime stops working and have to reboot printer to print again

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 4 of 4 (89 Views)

Run this diagnostic utility and see what it returns : 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03286146

Also try using this alternative driver and see if you are able to print using it :

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers-e-g-Windows-8/How-to-Assign-Alterna...

Let me know and I will get right back with you!

-Spencer 

PS Have a wonderful day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation