Question

Student
z3r0
Message 1 of 4 (3,852 Views)

deskjet 940c ink problem

I changed the black ink cartridge in my printer, but even though I fitted the cartridge properly, the orange light won't stop blinking.

Unfortunately I got this printer from my brother and don't have the manual.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 4 (3,839 Views)

Re: deskjet 940c ink problem

Did you use an HP #15 cartridge?  The #45 looks similar but is not compatible with the Deskjet 940.  If the cartridge is correct try cleaning the cartridge contacts as shown here

You can also help dioagnose which cartridge is the issue by opening the lid and looking at which icon the carriage lines itself up with.  The positions correspond to no issue or will point to either the color or black cartrdige as the problem.  See the following for details.  That page is written for a different printer but the same applies to your Deskjet 940. 

Also note that blinking lights on the printer may be caused by other issues.  See this document for troubleshooting steps.

The manuals for the Deskjet 940 are available for download here.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
OldNovice
Message 3 of 4 (3,430 Views)

Had the same problem and this worked for me.  If you have to correct ink cartridge and still have the problem, try cleaning the "contacts" to the cartridge holder.

Student
myre21
Message 4 of 4 (2,280 Views)

My printer's ink light would not go off so I could not print. I did not want to lose the jobs in my queue. After cleaning my cartridges and the contacts in the printer my light was still on. I then used the Cobra Print viewer app http://www.cobraapps.com/products/printviewer.php by copying the jobs in my queue to my PDF writer. I use Cute PDF. I then deleted the jobs from my queue. I used the Clean print cartridges function in properties of the printer. Finally my ink light went away and I can print my jobs from the PDF I saved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation