Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus 

Windows XP

The printer will not print anything (including black & white which is my default setting), unless I install a new yellow ink cartridge.  It says the cartridge is depleted and must be replaced before printing.    Must I have color cartridges to print black and white? Is there a workaround? Thank you very much. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi DavidDavid,

Yes, you will need to replace the yellow cartridge in order to continue printing. Below is a good explanation of the print mechanism designs, and what is required in order to keep them in good working condition. Your printer falls under the user replaceable printhead. With this printer there are ink lines which need to stay filled with ink this way the print head doesn't get clogged jets in turn causing poor print quality issues.

Note written by Bob_Headrick on thread: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/Officejet-8500-won-t-print-Black-ink-only-if-o...

HP, like other printer manufacturers, offers printers with permanent printheads that require ink for all the colors to keep from damaging the printheads.  HP, like some other manufacturers, also offers printers with user replaceable printheads.  These may of may not require ink in all colors to print, although damage may occur if printing with empty cartridge.  Finally, HP like a few other manufacturers also offers printers with the printhead built into the ink supply.  It is replaced at each cartridge change.  These printers will happily print with a supply low, empty or for many models even removed completely.

When you buy your next printer (from HP or another manufacturer) make sure you understand what the printer type is and pick one that matches your needs.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

116 REPLIES 116
HP Recommended

Hi DavidDavid,

Yes, you will need to replace the yellow cartridge in order to continue printing. Below is a good explanation of the print mechanism designs, and what is required in order to keep them in good working condition. Your printer falls under the user replaceable printhead. With this printer there are ink lines which need to stay filled with ink this way the print head doesn't get clogged jets in turn causing poor print quality issues.

Note written by Bob_Headrick on thread: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/Officejet-8500-won-t-print-Black-ink-only-if-o...

HP, like other printer manufacturers, offers printers with permanent printheads that require ink for all the colors to keep from damaging the printheads.  HP, like some other manufacturers, also offers printers with user replaceable printheads.  These may of may not require ink in all colors to print, although damage may occur if printing with empty cartridge.  Finally, HP like a few other manufacturers also offers printers with the printhead built into the ink supply.  It is replaced at each cartridge change.  These printers will happily print with a supply low, empty or for many models even removed completely.

When you buy your next printer (from HP or another manufacturer) make sure you understand what the printer type is and pick one that matches your needs.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

It is **bleep** that you can't print at all in B/W if your are out of yellow!!!  I am furious!!   I have a deadline, it's nearly midnight and I can't even print a simple one page doc in B/W!!  

I have loved this printer till tonight.  I wish I had my old HP 6500 back!  At least I had some warning when it was low and I had the option to print even w/poor quality.  I thought an upgrade from 6500 to 8500 would give me more features not less.  I am beyond upset.  This is unacceptable......

HP Recommended

ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!!

HP Recommended

Hi dparke10,

Review Message 2 above. If the cartridge is showing low on ink you are still able to print, but if it indicates that it is out or needs to be replaced the printer will not print until this cartridge has been replaced. The reason for this is if you run the printer without one of the color cartridges working this will cause damage to the printhead.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

There is a bigger problem that causes the computer to break. When I found out that I have to replace the color cartridge when I only print in B & W - I threw the printer out my back door. I know that it wasn't that smart because my wife then made me clean it up and put it in the garbage. There should be a way to turn off color completely and just us B & W for the life of the printer.

HP Recommended

Hi Everyone, 

If you want just a black and white printer you will want to check out the link below. 

B & W Printers

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi.  I started this post...I replaced the  cartridges, including black & white and color.  I was not thrilled about having to replace the color catridges even if I rarely use them, but I did so.  I changed all of my settings to grayscale/b&w.  There is barely any color ink usage when the settings are adjusted appropriately. 

I am overall very happy with this product, including the printer, scanner, and fax. 

HP Recommended

My name is David. I am a Russian customer and I am totally furious about this superoption of not being able to print in b/w only with yellow toner empty. This is totally inconvenient. And I want to say that this is the dumbest move from HP I ever heard in my life. Who cares about about this protective mode for priner? I would prefer to have printer for 3 years that prints in b/w mode whenever you want, than having HP printer that works with protective mode for 10 years. Guys, wake up, who cares? Anyway i don't use one printer for more than 3 years and most of the customer will agree with me. And of course I am absolutely shocked with the HP staff answers in this posts, instead of apoligizing, they start giving a bunch of links for the printers that print in b/w only. The other thing - they never wrote this information neither in manuals nor on the box. I consider this information very significant for making a choice - How many people would not buy this model knowing about this dumb anti-solution? I will be looking for reimbursement anyway - I think - it will be smart from HP to give me my money back and apologize.

HP Recommended

Hi touganov,

I saw your post and forwarded it to the right people for their review. You should hear back from someone shortly

I am an HP employee.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.