Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the HP Officejet Pro 8600.  I resigned myself to buying all the colors and Black cartridges as a backup so I would not panic when one ink goes empty.  But You should be getting warnings that the inks are getting low, plus you should check the levels every so often so you will not be surprised.  It is either that or get a different printer.

HP Recommended

I've had a number of problems with this printer:

• It frequently jams when on large jobs.

• Duplexing takes too long, but it must be used when printing large documents due to the jamming issue above (can't print odd pages, turn over, then print even pages)

• No custom envelope sizes (such as all those Christmas cards).

• Few pre-set scanning resolutions and high data imprint on all things scanned.

• Annoying fan noise when on and on standby (but turning on and off consumes ink)

• Consumes far, FAR too much ink for maintenance.

It had three pros

• if you focus solely on printing in black and white and don't take maintenance (head-cleaning) into account, it scores lower than a B&W laser for ink cost.

• Legal-size scanning is better than letter-size. Marginally.

• It was on sale.

But if I have to install color cartridges in it (to then be drained by maintenance cycles, which are nearly continuous) just to continue printing in B&W, then I have no reason to keep it. Alas, the error of my ways was discovered after period of time that I could have taken it back to Costco. I bet I can't even use it as a boat anchor. I wouldn't want to pollute the waters with HP-ness.

I agree with others that inkhead type should be better disclosed prior to purchase. I thought I was doing my homework appropriately by discovering that it had Independent Ink Cartridges, but it seems that was not enough. I also agree with others that moves like this will lose customers - especially with suitable alternatives, such as Brother and Canon. A refund may cause me to think otherwise.

I would love an override. Or how about a printhead that only has one massive black tank in it? Then I could swap in the color one for those few times a year I need it.

HP Recommended

Here's my issue and please send this to whoever your product development folks are.

I have the HP Officejet Pro 8600. I am pretty happy with its performance to date. However.....I recently ran out of ink, so....I go and get a black ink cartridge because I really don't need the color...you know where this is going by now....So of course, now I have to run back out and buy the cyan cartridge. Is this some gimmick to make people spend money on your product needlessly. Talk about a flawed design. The EDSEL was produced better. With that said, I recommend you send your boy geniuses back to the drawing board and design a printer that will print with only the black cartridge. At least provide this information in the product description. This surely would have influenced my purchase decision. I may have actually spent a little more for a printer that will do this.

I really don't want to purchase an EPSON or some other brand in the future, but you make it kinda hard to stay loyal......Its like finding out your best girl is seeing your little brother on the side...Well thank you for letting me vent I gotta run out and spend some more money now for a cartridge I don't really need. Thanks for nothing.

HP Recommended

Had register just to chime in and say ow disappointed and PO'd I am about being stuck here with papers to print and this (*&(**^& machine telling me I have to buy expensive ink I never use.  SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM!!!!!

HP Recommended

I didn't read through all of the posts, but there is a very good reason that your printer will not print without yellow ink: The NSA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer_steganography

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and will never buy another HP product (unfortunately I bought 2 computers and 3 printers last year for my office but am giving them away tomorrow.)

HP Recommended

I have no colour ink, but blank ink only. I tried this on my HP Officejet 6500 Wireless and it worked. 

Go to:

Devices and Printers

Right click on your printer and select "Printing Preferences" 

In the "Colour Options" section, select "Print in greyscale". Just under that option is a scroll down box, click that and ensure you select "Blank Ink Only"

Hit "Apply", "OK" and Bob's your uncle. 

HP Recommended

This is our 3rd and last HP printer.  We purchase the OJPro 8600 because of the good price point and competitive cartridge pricing.  Our past HP printers were great and printed Black only even if the colour cartridges were empty, so imagine our surprise when the 8600 refused to print.  As it has been said in other posts, we feel deceived by HP as we too would not have bought this product had this design feature (flaw) been revealed.  This is plain and simply a very poor design or as other has stated, a cash grab.  The thing I find most disturbing is the response by some HP employees to these posts.  Posting links to black and white printers if extremely offensive, rude and unprofessional and is an indication that HP is no longer interested in customer satisfaction.  My wife wants to return the printer but I am sure that our retailer will not take it back due to a design flaw purported to be a protection feature by the manufacturer.  We don’t have a huge disposable income and that is why we purchase an HP, good quality, long lasting and relatively inexpensive cost per page.  Now I’m hoping this printer fails sooner than later so I can justify buying a new Canon.

HP Recommended

Thanks you 'expert', whatever that means.  That is complete B******t. HP should be ashamed of themselves. Last time I'm buying one of your sub-par printers. Booooooooooooo.:smileyfrustrated: smileyfrustrated: smileyfrustrated: smileyfrustrated: smileyfrustrated: smileyfrustrated: smileyfrustrated: smileyfrustrated: smileyfrustrated: smileyfrustrated: smileyfrustrated: smileyfrustrated: smileyfrustrated:

HP Recommended

You are worthless

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.