Question

Top Student
JPAsfour
Message 1 of 12 (4,681 Views)
Accepted Solution

drivers for mac os x 10.9

I have been waiting for an updated version of drivers and utilities for my HP Officejet Pro 8500a e-all-in-one printer.  I have updated my Mac OS to the new Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks).  Due to disc errors on my laptop, it was necessary to erase the hard drive and re-install my files from a Time Machine backup.  When I was done, there was no printer listed.  I tried to install the printer but the installation would not run because it was not able to use the new operating system.  I have searched this site from that day for updated drivers so that I can use the other features of my printer.  I was told to go to the Apple website to load the printer driver from there.  I managed to get my printer to print (not an easy task) but there was only the print driver and nothing for the other suite of software that I have been using.  I tried downloading the full set of software but my computer won't run the installer because it did not recognize the author of the drivers.

This has left me feeling neglected and ignored.

I called the HP Support line but they wouldn't even try to help me unless I paid for the support call since my printer is no longer in warranty.  She would not even tell me if they had the updated drivers.  That was the LAST STRAW!!!

I have been a loyal HP Printer customer for over a decade and have never encountered such a lack of support in all that time.  I ended up having to PAY for a third party Scanning program so that I can start scanning all the items I have been holding.

Does this make any sense?  I will tell you this, the next time I am shopping for another printer, I will probably steer clear of HP printers.

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 12 (4,677 Views)

Re: drivers for mac os x 10.9

Hi,

Please try the following fix:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
JPAsfour
Message 3 of 12 (4,670 Views)

Kudos

When I first ran the intaller that was available, it would not run.  It appears the someone finally fixed the problem and now I have the HP Suite of programs once more.  Too bad it took so long for this to happen.  It ended up costing me money because I had to buy another company's scanning software so that I could start scanning the items I have been holding onto.

Perhaps the updates could be rolled out a bit smoother.  I still doesn't show the Mac OS Mavericks when you go to the download drivers of your website support.

Provost
banhien
Message 4 of 12 (4,668 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for posting back the result. Apple sometimes keeps users by surprised due to commercial reasons. I think vendors should work closely together before any new software realease. I hate Windows 8 but Microsoft is trying to do the right thing when it allows users to test its product and other vendors can prepare for the change. But users still get problem with Windows 8.1

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
JPAsfour
Message 5 of 12 (4,649 Views)

It would have been nice if the system requirements mentioned Mac OS X 10.9.  However, when you check the system requirements, it stops at Mountain Lion.  When one is looking for Mavericks and it is not listed, why would you select the drivers?  This is what really gets to me.  If my OS system was listed, I would have had my printer up and running and would not have WASTED my money on a third party scanning software.

This is what stinks to high hell! 

Student
FalconRider
Message 6 of 12 (4,407 Views)

I just purchased a new MACBook Pro and am trying to print on my HP 8500A.  Is there a driver for the MAC OS 10.9?

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 7 of 12 (4,380 Views)

Hi FalconRider,

I understand you have a new Mac with 10.9 and are looking to use your Officejet 8500A with it. I will certainly do my best to help you out with this.

At this time HP has not released 10.9 drivers for the Officejet 8500A, but you can still install the printer using the Apple software. If you click the link below, it will walk you through how to install the printer either wireless or with a USB cable using the Apple software.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03967522

Hope this helps, have a great day!!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster :smileyhappy:
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Student
LondonSW11
Message 8 of 12 (4,221 Views)

I'm with the previous poster of 11-06-2013.  I held on for a while but now it's 12-07-2013 and it looks like I need to replace my HP Officejet Pro 8500a, having tried every suggestion on this forum.  I need a scanner! and forgive my cynicism HP, but we Mac users must still represent such a small segment of the markeplace that you don't even need to worry about us.  Suffice it to say that this paying customer WILL steer clear of HP.  Not that it matters much to you. 

Top Student
theREALskylark
Message 9 of 12 (3,067 Views)

[ Edited ]

+1

HP is not coming through on their end. Looks like my 8500A will be my last HP product...

Tutor
WileyK
Message 10 of 12 (3,041 Views)

Hi theREALskylark...it looks like frustrated MAC users do exist when it comes to HP providing printer drivers and full feature software for so many of their models! In looking closer I see HP not only wrote the Windows 8.1 Full Featured Sofware and Driver for model OJ 8500A A910a but also the previous  OJ 8500 model A909a as well, which dates back prior to 2010. Very convenient for Window's users but it's like a current MAC OS X doesn't matter or exist in the market place. So why did HP write the Mavericks Full Featured Software and Driver for their current OJ Pro 8600? Answer: they are a sales organization and support is secondary for Windows users only. MAC OS X support falls somewhere in the "only if we have to" category. What, should all MAC users go out and buy a new OJ 8600 now? What a SLAP! So then out of 10 with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest:

HP addresses ALL market segments in a "timely manner" when supporting printer software and driver updates - 1 rating

HP is responsive when customer feedback is negative - 1 rating

HP treats Apple / MAC as an important part of their end user base - 1 rating

HP MAC OS X support - 1 rating

HP expects Apple / MAC to write and publish their printer drivers for them - 10 rating 

HP has a deep Windows bias and a sales first attitude - 10 rating

What else can be said except as MAC users, we're not at all impressed!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation