Question

Honor Student
jandmsutton
Message 1 of 10 (1,795 Views)

error message

I am getting the following message when I try to install  software for my photosmart 6520:

call to driverpackageinstall returned error 1603 for package'C:\program Files\HP\HP Photosmart 6520 series\Driver Store\Pipeline\hpvp109.inf: The installation failed

I have managed to install it on a laptop but not on my desktop. Same thing happens whether I use the cd or the online installation

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 2 of 10 (1,764 Views)

Re: error message

Have you had the printer on this desktop before?

You may have to perform a L3 uninstall. Here is a link that will assist you with the steps to uninstall.

http://www.out-of-warranty.com/three-ways-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-hp/

Let me know if this helps, thanks. 

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Honor Student
jandmsutton
Message 3 of 10 (1,761 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually resolved the problem with the help of the wonderful Samuel K on your online chat facility. I have no idea what he did but I followed his instructions and the printer now works! :smileyhappy:

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 4 of 10 (1,755 Views)

Glad you got everything working correctly. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. 

Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Honor Student
awantling
Message 5 of 10 (1,724 Views)

Hi - I'm having the same problem with a deskjet 3520 printer and installing the driver. works on laptop but not on PC and get same error message as you except it refers to my printer. Do you happen to recall how you got help?  Thanks.

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 6 of 10 (1,714 Views)

@awantling, Have you tried the steps above?

Honor Student
awantling
Message 7 of 10 (1,710 Views)

Hi. I have tried the above steps but it still does not work. There is no L3uninstall file on my CD or the download but there is a deletepreinstalled drivers file.  I have also tried the 'clean boot' technique but I am still getting the same error message.  Is the problem to do with files that are still on my PC (that have not been removed) and causing an issue or is it something to do with my firewall/antivirus software or maybe something else. I can't believe there is not a simple way of sorting this out but I'm having a hard time trying to find it. 

Do you have any other suggestions?

Rgds

A

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 8 of 10 (1,701 Views)

Are you connected USB? If so, that may be a reason that you had a folder asking to delete (preinstalled drivers). When you plug the USB cable in, it usually automatically downloads onto the computer. Try to delete that and see if that helps. 

Your firewall and anti-virus, also can have a lot to do with error and blocking ports.

Have you been able to print before?

Have you had this printer downloaded on the computer before this error message?

Honor Student
ronlare
Message 9 of 10 (1,504 Views)

I get this message trying to set up HP 5520 when software installation fails, whether software is from included CD or from HP on-line:

" Call to DrivePackageInstall returned error 13 for package C:\ProgramFiles\HP\HPPhotosmart 5520 Series\DriverStore\Pipeline\bpvp109.inf "

Two hours on the phone with HP technical support did not solve this, nor three hours on phone with Dell Pro Support.

However, this chat seems to some ideas that they did not try.

Both HP phone support and Dell think there may be something wrong with a registry related to HP, but you guys seem to be discussing something else that might work. Neither tech wanted to mess with the registries, which is understandable.

--Ron in Detroit

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 10 of 10 (1,484 Views)

@ronlare, sorry that you are having a issue with the installation failing. 

Here is a link for the fatal error, which seems to be the problem. 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02455020

Let me know if this works. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation