how do i connect my all-in-one wireless printer to my laptop? (32910 Views)
Student
newuser27
Message 1 of 16 (32,910 Views)

how do i connect my all-in-one wireless printer to my laptop?

Help

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 16 (32,908 Views)

Re: how do i connect my all-in-one wireless printer to my laptop?

[ Edited ]

Hey NewUser27,

Dragon Tips: "Things that Print"

The "All Things Printing and Wireless" help guide:

There are "how to" pages, instructions, a "common questions" page, and information on Troubleshooting if things try to become difficult!

Wireless Printing Center

Below find more specific help... READ first, and then decide what you need to do to make this work.

• Note that one of the fastest ways to assure an installation work the first time is to have that printer connected with an Ethernet cable to your router - even if you are going to "go wireless" later.
  • When your printer is "going wireless", you can save some grief by going to the front panel on that printer and setting up the wireless "bits" ahead of time: the IP address (unless you are using DHCP), the name of your SSID group, the Pass Phrase (password) that allows you to get into your local wireless network.  In other words, set up the router and the printer so they know about each other, and then install the printer software.

Reasons to Install Printer Software

• If your printer stops working (and it’s not a hardware problem), it may be due to software or driver issues.  There are tools to help you diagnose the problem and help documents to guide you to success. 
  • You might desire extra features for your printer, need extra tools to help with scheduled maintenance, or want to check the ink levels in your printer.   The HP Solution Center is an integrated part of the Full Feature Software and provides these enhancements.
  • For those printers that support ePrint, you should install the ePrint software.

Each of the software packages, when installed from CD or your HP printer's website, provide extra features for your HP printer beyond the basic windows drivers included in Windows 7.

Remember:

ePrint is different from the Full Feature Software (and HP Solution Center).  If you wish to use the extra ePrint features you must complete the following:

• Install the ePrint software,
  • Print out your Web Services information sheet - your printer comes with instructions on how to do that - Register for an ePrint account,

An example of using ePrint features: emailing pictures to the printer or using eFax. 

Note that your regular printing and regular fax features on the printer work without the ePrint extras (registered account and ePrint email address).

Reference: EPrint – Help and Tips – Getting Started

=============================================================================

Install Basic Driver, HP Printer Full Feature Software, or other software for your printer:

If you have the CD that came with your printer, use that to install your Printer software.  If you do not have the CD, or if the software on the CD is outdated, then you can use the online installation tools.

Drivers control hardware connected to the computer (wired or wireless).

Software controls the programs that interact with the User.

• Go to the top of the forum page to Support and Drivers
  • Enter your Printer Model information, and then go to Software and Drivers...
  • Enter your Operating System in the Drop-down menu...  Click NEXT and Scroll down
  • Look for category Driver - Product Installation Software
  • Select the appropriate Basic Driver, ePrint, or Full Feature Software, as appropriate
  • Save the *.exe installation package on your computer

Optional:

• Look for category Utility – Diagnostic Tools
  • Select “HP Print and Scan Doctor” – Save the package on your computer.
  • NOTE the name and the location of the file(s) when you save the file(s).  The *.exe file(s) will likely save to the "Downloads “folder.
  • Install the Software / Driver installation package(s).  Install Utilities first, if applicable.
  • If you have ‘Admin’ control, you may highlight the package and “double-click” to install it, else Right-Click, Select ‘run as Administrator’ and install.

NOTES

• Download and install the driver software before connecting the USB cable.
  • After the initial installation is complete, be sure to check for and install any relevant updates  - check Category  - Update

There is sometimes a lot of information at your printer’s website, including manuals, how-to pages, and alerts for your printer.  Be sure to take an extended look at what’s available.

Extra help for setting up your Wireless Printer:

Reconfiguring your printer

Troubleshooting Your Printer - Network

Video Help in installing your wireless Printer:

How to install an HP Printer in a Wireless Network Using an Access Point in Windows 7

HowTo: HP Full Feature Printer Driver Install in Windows 7 (USB)

Help Files - Print and Network Issues:

If the Printer is too old to support Full Feature Software:

The Driver for Your Product Is Included in the Windows 7 Operating System

Troubleshooting Print Quality Problems with the Diagnostic Page

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are in the USA or in Canada, you can call Cloud Services for help with ePrint:

When to call HP Cloud Services and When to Call HP Tech Support

ePrint Hint:

To access / use the scan menu on your ePrint printer (after installing the ePrint software):

Start > search / type "HP Scan" > Click to open HP Scan

====================================================================================

Happy Computing!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Experts work hard to help!

Whenever you find a Useful or Helpful Post --

Click the Kudos Star on the Left to say "Thanks!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” boxes on Subjects started by you.

Remember:  The more information you provide, the better help you receive.

Always Include:  (Notebook) Product Number , Printers – Model Number ,

Operating System and an Error Description

Never give out your Serial Number

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Student
1gater
Message 3 of 16 (30,826 Views)

newuser27 wrote:

Help

Student
sumlertrudi
Message 4 of 16 (29,319 Views)

HP photosmart c4780

Regents Professor
garytech1
Message 5 of 16 (29,274 Views)

Hi Sumlertrudi,

I understand that you're trying to setup a wireless connection on your printer.  

I would take a look at the document below.

Wireless setup

Let me know how it goes.

Student
JAM-ME
Message 6 of 16 (26,563 Views)

New at this and have a lot of cords. How can I find out what an ETHERNet Cable looks like?

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 7 of 16 (26,558 Views)

Hello Jam-ME,

This is what it looks like

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Student
grammmmmm
Message 8 of 16 (23,929 Views)

I have a wireless printer and on occassion works but very seldom.  I have tried connecting it with the usb cord but it still does not work...

help

Student
wtjones
Message 9 of 16 (21,578 Views)

how do i connect my laptop to my all in one hp printer

Student
mummyjan1954
Message 10 of 16 (20,711 Views)

we have just bought  new prinnter having trouble connectig my lap top to pinnter it has windows 8

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation