Question

Honor Student
kdjelen
Message 1 of 4 (456 Views)

how do i print with just the black ink cartridge?

I got my ink cartridges refilled yesterday for my HP Deskjet F340 printer, and they could not refill the color one for some reason, but the black one worked (which is all I really need).  I correctly loaded both cartridges and my printer keeps showing an error message about the colored ink, but I only want to print things in black and white.  How do I do that? 

Thanks!

Kelly

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 2 of 4 (434 Views)

Re: how do i print with just the black ink cartridge?

Hello kdjellen

The Deskjet F340 needs the color cartridge to print. You can try changing the settings on the computer to print Black Ink Only but it may not work.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Honor Student
kdjelen
Message 3 of 4 (410 Views)

Printing Issues

Hi,

About a month ago, I sent an inquiry about my printer.  HP Deskjet F340 I couldn't print, because just my black was filled and not my color ink supply.  I was told that I needed to get the color ink supply (22) to fix the problem.  So I did that, put it in the printer, and now it is saying that it is out of black (the opposite problem I had before).  This is quite confusing.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kelly

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 4 of 4 (404 Views)

Re: Printing Issues

Hello kdjelen

From the sound of it there may be a problem with your black ink cartridge. Refilled/remanufactured ink are known to have reliability problems. Can I Refill The Ink In My HP Ink Cartridge?

I would suggest buying a black Genuine HP Ink cartridge to see if it still reads low ink, but before you do that I also suggest trying to clean the contacts on the ink cartridge. Sometimes, when dirty, they can cause communication errors such as: low ink: incompatible cartridges, etc.

• Gather the following materials:

• Dry foam-rubber swabs, lint-free cloth, or any soft material that will not come apart or leave fibers (coffee filters work well)
  • Distilled, filtered, or bottled water (tap water might contain contaminants that can damage the cartridges)
    CAUTION:Do not use platen cleaners or alcohol to clean the cartridge contacts. These can damage the cartridge or the product.
  • Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
  • Open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the center of the product. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before continuing.
    Press down on the cartridge to release it, and then pull the cartridge out to remove it from its slot.
  • Figure 10: Remove the cartridge
    Graphic: Remove the cartridge
    CAUTION:Do not remove both cartridges at the same time. Remove and clean each cartridge one at a time. Do not leave a cartridge outside the product for more than 30 minutes.
  • Hold the cartridge by its sides.
    Figure 11: Hold the cartridge by its sides
    Illustration of holding the cartridge by its sides
  • Inspect the ink cartridge contacts for ink and debris buildup.
  • Dip a clean foam-rubber swab or lint-free cloth into distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from it.
  • Clean only the copper-colored contacts, and then allow the cartridge to dry for approximately 10 minutes.
    Figure 12: Clean the contacts
    1 - Copper-colored contacts
    2 - Ink nozzles (do not clean)
  • Lightly moisten another cotton swab with distilled water, and then squeeze any excess water from the swab.
  • Use the swab to clean the electrical contacts in the carriage, located inside the product. Allow the contacts to dry for approximately 10 minutes.
  • Hold the cartridge by its sides with the nozzles toward the product, and then insert the cartridge into its slot. Make sure that the icon on the cartridge matches the icon on the slot.
    Figure 13: Insert the cartridge into its slot
    Illustration of installing a cartridge
  • Push the cartridge forward into its slot until it snaps into place.
    Figure 14: Snap the cartridge into place
    Graphic: Snap the cartridge into place
  • Repeat these steps for the other cartridge.
  • Close the cartridge access door.
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation