Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm told that the printer lid comes off.  I've tried everything except tearing it off.  Can you explain it to me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi DickTurner,

Sorry to hear calling support didn't help resolve this issue. The Lid should snap off fairly easily. Please refer to the screenshot below. I hope this helps you with removing the scanner lid.

1.JPG

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi DickTurner,

Are you talking about the scanner lid?

If so, Need to lift it to the open position, and then press backwards to unclick it from the main body of the printer.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  I appreciate the fact that someone answered.  I was speaking of the scanner lid, of course, and I tried a dozen times to lift it to the open position and then press it backwrds, but it doesn't budge with a moderate amount of pressure, and I'm afraid that if I apply too much pressure I'll break the thing apart.

It still has me buffaloed, but thanks again for your attempt to help.

**bleep** Turner

HP Recommended

Hi DickTurner,

You will need to press where my thumb is located on the scanner lid to pop it loose from the main printer body. When you go to put it back on it just snaps back into place.

1.JPG

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Nope -- No matter how hard I push that lid won't budge.  It was very kind of you to go to all the trouble of taking a picture to show me.  I think, though, that maybe I am just afraid of breaking my brand new all-in-one.  Maybe I'll just stick to scanning skinny things that fit under the lid.  Thanks a million.

**bleep** Turner

HP Recommended

Hi DickTurner,

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836, and they can assist you with getting the scanner lid removed. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

At your suggestion, I called tech support and spent half an hour on the phone with a fellow who seemingly knew less than I when it came to solving the problem.  He suggested that I use the handle of a spoon to pry the lid off, so I tried that -- with no luck.  Then he said, "If you will hold on for a few minutes, I will try that myself."  Five minutes later he came back on the line and said, "That doesn't seem to work, so I spoke to my mentor about it.  He told me that the lid is supposed to come off, in theory, but in practice it really doesn't."

So thank you for your interest and time, but I guess I'll just let the matter drop.  It's either that or tear the lid off with my bare hands -- and then I'll be in worse shape than ever.  As the fellow once saId, "Sometimes it's just better to let sleeping dogs lie."

All the best to you,

**bleep** Turner

HP Recommended

Hi DickTurner,

Sorry to hear calling support didn't help resolve this issue. The Lid should snap off fairly easily. Please refer to the screenshot below. I hope this helps you with removing the scanner lid.

1.JPG

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Eureka!  And thank you, thank you, thank you.  The fact that you kept responding made me certain that you KNEW the lid had to come off.  So I figured, "Okay I'll give it one more shot."  But this time I decided to go one step beyond.  I sprayed a cue tip with WD40 and oiled up both ends of both hinges.  Then I said, "Here goes nothing," and gave the lid a good push backwards.  And BINGO -- off it came, just like in the moving pictures.

Am I a happy man.  You bet your bippy I am. I now feel as though I have the HP Photosmart 5510 that I paid for. And all thanks to you.

Best of everything,

**bleep** Turner 

HP Recommended

Hi DickTurner,

Glad to hear that you was able to get the lid removed. I would not advise the use of WD-40 on the plastic as this is a very strong cleaning agent, and can damage the product. You may want to make sure that the WD-40 is cleaned off the plastic to prevent the plastic body from getting warped. Have a wonderful evening.

I am an HP employee.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.