Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm having same probs and have looked at your pic with the thumb position. Have tried pressing on the lid but no joy. It is the most badly designed piece of hardware I've seen  in a long time. 

Grrrrr very frustrated.

So disappointed because I actually love the rest of it.

Please can you explain how much pressure I should put on it and exactly where. Both sides. Would my thumbs be where your yellow arrows are pointing to below because that doesn't look the same position as the pic of your thumb?

Thank youin anticipation of your help. I realise my query is 3 years down the line. Would have thought HP would have made a better solution to this problem by now. 😞

HP Recommended

WOOHOOO It finally clicked off (and shot across the room). 

Thank you PC wizard for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi Chezzabel, 

Glad to hear you were able to remove the scanner lid. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Hi pcwizard

FANTASTIC ! you are fully right, it works !

After a lot of hesitations (as most of your "pupils") I dared to push quite harder and it came out !

Thanks a lot for your patience and detailed explanations !

:OpenSmile:

Rgds

Nini

HP Recommended

Hi Nini, 

Glad to hear you were able to remove the scanner lid. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended
On the front of the printer the little sticker naming the printer pull this off to reveal a screw
Then the screen and on off switch just pulls out to reveal 2 more undo these and the rest of the top screws then hey ho lid off
HP Recommended

This picture was more helpful than any of the written solutions I read. I wish HP will add this picture to all applicable user guides instead of just stating "you can remove the lid". My all-in-one is HP Photosmart 5520, by the way.

HP Recommended

the two thumbs should be pressing in the inner side of the lid slots and not the outer side. it's much easier. worked for me too easily, just before breaking trying other ways 😉

HP Recommended

Thanks D-turner.  The oil did the trick prior to that I was prying with a srew driver and no luck. Ready to bust it in frustrations as youtube showed  and MS wrote yep just pop it off. Popped off after some lube.  You're no  longer a rookie.

hardknocks3

@DickTurner wrote:

Eureka!  And thank you, thank you, thank you.  The fact that you kept responding made me certain that you KNEW the lid had to come off.  So I figured, "Okay I'll give it one more shot."  But this time I decided to go one step beyond.  I sprayed a cue tip with WD40 and oiled up both ends of both hinges.  Then I said, "Here goes nothing," and gave the lid a good push backwards.  And BINGO -- off it came, just like in the moving pictures.

Am I a happy man.  You bet your bippy I am. I now feel as though I have the HP Photosmart 5510 that I paid for. And all thanks to you.

Best of everything,

**bleep** Turner 

@DickTurner wrote:

Eureka!  And thank you, thank you, thank you.  The fact that you kept responding made me certain that you KNEW the lid had to come off.  So I figured, "Okay I'll give it one more shot."  But this time I decided to go one step beyond.  I sprayed a cue tip with WD40 and oiled up both ends of both hinges.  Then I said, "Here goes nothing," and gave the lid a good push backwards.  And BINGO -- off it came, just like in the moving pictures.

Am I a happy man.  You bet your bippy I am. I now feel as though I have the HP Photosmart 5510 that I paid for. And all thanks to you.

Best of everything,

**bleep** Turner 

Thanks dturner  Oil did te trick even pried with a srewdriver prior to that because MS and youtube wrote or showed , just pull and pop it off.  was ready to break it in frustration and it wouild have w/o oil. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.