Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

1.  It is a Officejet Pro 8500A Plus. Model A910g

2.  Before the problem started I got a message to change the Yellow and Cyan which I did with HP 940XL ink.  I then got a message to change the Magenta which I did with HP 940XL ink.  This is when the problem started.  During the process of continual cleaning and problem solving, I was asked to replace the Black as well which is also HP 940XL ink.  The current levels now read Low on Cyan and Yellow.  Magenta less than a third full.  The black is full.

- My printhead status is good for both of them.

3.  Yes the printer was plugged into a surge protector but has been directly plugged into the wall outlet but this did not change anything. I even tried using another outlet.

4. Operating a Mac OS 10.6.8.

5. Yes I use a usb cable which I disconnected when trying the resets.

I have tried a hard reset several times, removing the cartridges and printhead and restarting, manually cleaning the printheads.  After one reset I was able to scan but then when I tried to print it restarted the printhead cleaning and kept repeating.  Once I was able to copy but from the scan bed but then it reverted to the printhead cleaning nightmare.  When I tried to copy from the auto feed that just went into printhead cleaning again.  Every other time it just goes straight into cleaning after powering on.  Just before I got the message to change the black cartridge the screen actually said aligning printheads but when I change the ink it went into the printhead cleaning/checking printer cycle again.

I am frustrated to no end.  I don't know whether I should waste anymore money getting the colored ink cartridges again but I know that I won't be able to even trouble shoot pretty soon without more ink.  Any help would be appreciated.  

HP Recommended

Can you print a Printer Status Report and give me the Firmware Version  for the printer?  To print the report, press the right arrow on the printer control screen and then Setup / Reports / Printer Status Report.

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.