Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am using HP photo paper and it jams every time.  It acts like it's printing but nothing is generated on the paper.  I can print the photos on plain paper and it works.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @Mamadee6,

I'm sorry to hear that the firmware update is also failing for you. Ensure you don't have any 'out of paper' or 'paper jam' messages on the screen when you try to send the firmware. If all is fine on the printer when you try to send the firmware it does sound like something may be corrupt in your printers programming.

At this point I'm going to send you a private message with a special printer reset in it. I suggest that you check your private messages and run through the reset I'm going to provide you with. After running the reset be sure to post the result of the reset in this thread and not in the private message as our troubleshooting steps can be helpful to other HP Support Forums users.

Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

Hey @Mamadee6,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're having an issue printing on photo paper on your HP Envy 4500 All-in-One. However, as you stated, you are able to print your photos on plain white paper just fine. In order for me to best support you I do have a few questions.

1. What Operating System are you using on your Computer?

What's my OS?

2. What type of HP Photo Paper are you using?

3. What is the size of the HP Photo Paper?

4. Is the Photo Paper glossy or matte?

When printing on different types of media you need to ensure that you are loading 1 type of media in the paper tray at a time. Therefore, you do not want to stack photo paper on top of plain white letter size paper as this can cause the paper to 'slip' in the paper tray and not feed correctly.

For now lets ensure that your photo paper is loaded correctly:

1. Open the paper tray door, and then pull it toward you to extend the paper tray.
  2. Gently pull out the paper tray extender, and then lift up the paper catch.
     Pull out the paper tray and the tray extender
    Image: Pull out the  paper tray and  the  tray extender
  3. Slide the paper width guides to their outermost position.
    Slide out the paper width guides
    Image: Slide out the paper width guides
  4. Remove any paper from the paper tray.
  5. Load a stack of photo paper into the middle of the paper tray, with the short edge forward and the print side down. Slide the stack into the tray until it rests against the paper stoppers at the end of the tray.
    Load photo paper
    Image: Load photo paper
  6. Slide in the paper width guides in until they rest against the edges of the paper.
     Slide in the paper width guides
    Image: Slide in the paper width guides
  7. Push the paper tray forward until it clicks into place.
    NOTE: Push the paper tray all the way in to avoid an error message.
     Push the paper tray forward until it clicks into place
    Image: Push the paper tray forward until  it clicks into place

Please respond to this post with the answers to the questions I posted above so I can provide you with accurate support. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I am using hp Premium Plus photo paper, soft gloss  size 4x6.  I have properly placed the paper into the tray but when I print the paper does not feed properly and eventually just jams. 

HP Recommended

Hey @Mamadee6,

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

The HP Premium Plus Photo Paper soft gloss should not be giving you any feeding issues on your product. Perhaps it's an issue with the soft gloss paper slipping on your rollers inside the printers paper path and is then causing these paper jams to occur.

To correct the issue with the rollers slipping I am going to provide you with a Paper Jam document to run through:

A 'Paper Jam' Error Displays on the HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One

Now I know plain white paper is printing fine so lets just focus on 'Solution one steps 1-3 and Solution two steps 1 and 2'. You  need to first ensure that there is no jammed paper stuck in your paper path from all the jams that have occured on the product. After ensuring that the paper path is clear than I will have you perform the clean of the rollers.

Please let me know if these steps help. Best of luck! Smiley Happy

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

My O/S is Windows 7

The paper I am using is hp premium plus photo paper soft gloss 4x6

I have inserted the paper as instructed and ensured that the tray is properly adjusted to the size of the paper.   What happens next is the printer will sound like it is printing the photo but then I get the paper jam message and have to open the printer and remove the paper.  It gets stuck in the same position which tells me the feed is not working properly.  I do not know how to fix this.  It should work since I am following instructions and using hp approved paper in an hp printer. 

HP Recommended

Hey @Mamadee6,

Did you successfully run a clean of the rollers as suggested in my previous post? Because your supported paper is physically stopping in the paper path this appears to be an issue with the rollers. Cleaning the rollers using the instructions I provided in my prior post may make all the difference for this.

If you have already cleaned the rollers and are still having the issue than a firmware update may be needed on your product.

HP Envy 4500 series firmware update to improve printer performance

Please select this link and choose the Download Option. This is a programming update on your printer. Once the Firmware Utility downloads it will give you an option to send the firmware to the printer. This update will reprogram the printer to fix or improve performance.

Please let me know if the firmware update resolved your issue. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Actually, that doesn't work either.  I downloaded the firmware program but when I try to run it I get an error message: 

HP Device update cannot proceed

1.  Check that your device is

- connected to your computer

- powered on

- Not in an error state (for example: paper jam, cover open, out of paper)

2. Clear any error states

3. Click start again

I do all of these things and it comes up with the same message.  I deleted the program restarted my computer and dowloaded again with the same results.

I think that this printer is faulty and needs to be returned to the store because it just will perform the way it is supposed to.  I am very frsutrated with this product

HP Recommended

Hey @Mamadee6,

I'm sorry to hear that the firmware update is also failing for you. Ensure you don't have any 'out of paper' or 'paper jam' messages on the screen when you try to send the firmware. If all is fine on the printer when you try to send the firmware it does sound like something may be corrupt in your printers programming.

At this point I'm going to send you a private message with a special printer reset in it. I suggest that you check your private messages and run through the reset I'm going to provide you with. After running the reset be sure to post the result of the reset in this thread and not in the private message as our troubleshooting steps can be helpful to other HP Support Forums users.

Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I am happy to say that after reinstalling the printer it is now printing photos successfuly.  Thank you for all of your assistance!

HP Recommended

I am having the same issues outlined in this support ticket and have performed the same troubleshooting measures, but still am unable to print using HP Premium Plus Photo Paper on my HP Envy 4500. I am also unable to install the above mentioned firmware update as the update keeps asking me to clear error messages and connect the device, which are both not applicable. Please help!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.