hpzsetup.exe - keeps popping up - installing device driver software (9429 Views)
Honor Student
dwhiting
Message 1 of 15 (9,429 Views)

hpzsetup.exe - keeps popping up - installing device driver software

I have been dealing with HP chat for one month, three different times, and no one seems to know how to resolve.  I see  on the message board this is a reoccuring problem with other HP Deskjet Printer users.  Every time I get on the computer, the following messages pop up:  "installing device driver softward, device driver installed, hpzset.exe . . . I must cancel or continue.  I have to insert my printer CD in every time and it completed step 4) configuration . . . steps 1 - 3 seem okay; each time it finishes with "configuration".  I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times.  HP techs all tell me something different to do and end my chat without a working resolution. 

Does anyone please know how to resolve this issue?

Thank you,

Dianne

Honor Student
Missizippi
Message 2 of 15 (9,406 Views)

Re: hpzsetup.exe - keeps popping up - installing device driver software

Hi Dianne

No answer from me - I have exactly the same issue. Can't get anything out of HP!

Honor Student
dwhiting
Message 3 of 15 (9,399 Views)

I even emailed and contacted Customer Relations via phone. . . HP doesn't care.  They kept stating, "your product if out of warranty, you can talk to a tech person on the phone but you have to pay" . . . they don't care about customer service and all us customers who are having the same issue.  I'm so frustrated!!!! 

Grad Student
iam_troy
Message 4 of 15 (9,379 Views)

You might try going into services(Start->Run and enter "services.msc") and disabling the HP CUE DeviceDiscovery Service. The HP Digital Imaging Monitor will start it up on reboot. You can remove the entry for that from the StartUp group. It'll be an icon in your system tray. Log files that go along with that may detail if this is the issue. They are %temp%\hpqddsvc.log and %temp%\hpqddusr.log.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.*
Top Student
SHULIST
Message 5 of 15 (8,560 Views)

[ Edited ]

I just installed the latest version (2009-06-19 , Version:12.0.1, 45.96M) of software for my Hp 5460 on a Vista PC. After a successful installation I now get the HPzsetup.exe popping up repeatedly **ANY** time I now plug in any type of usb device and also at boot up. It also now does a successful reinstall each time I turn on the HP printer. 

I used the suggested solution of iam_troy and it works as a temporary fix. Though of course if you disable the service then its not doing what its supposed to.

Does anyone have a real solution for this? Given that this problem has been around for a year or more does anyone in HP have a permanent fix?

Grad Student
iam_troy
Message 6 of 15 (8,552 Views)

I've talked with some people here and we'd need the log files mentioned in my post above to know for sure what is going on. You can open those log files in Notepad or another text editor and post the last 50 lines or so here. Please sanitize the log as appropriate.
*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.*
Top Student
SHULIST
Message 7 of 15 (8,534 Views)

Iam_troy,

Thanks for your response. Here is a link to all of the HP log files that were in this folder. One that you mentioned is not present -- hpqddsvc.log.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19450807/HP_Logs.zip

Hope that helps.

Grad Student
iam_troy
Message 8 of 15 (8,528 Views)

The hpqddsvc.log should be in the c:\windows\temp directory. It will provide us the best data.
Top Student
SHULIST
Message 9 of 15 (8,521 Views)

Iam_Troy,

OK here is a link to the elusive log file 

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19450807/hpqddsvc.log

Thanks,

-->Michael

Grad Student
iam_troy
Message 10 of 15 (8,471 Views)

Sorry for the delayed response. Here's what we been able to determine from the log files.

On 4/8/2012, Windows detected 2 new instances of the printer. We're not sure
why, but it could be caused if the device didn't report it's serial number
correctly. When the new instances showed up, the Device Discovery service tried
to set them up for use with the software. The original device with a valid
serial number was removed because a printer for it was not found in the printers
folder. One of the two new instances was successful in being set up and the
other was not. On 4/9/2012, the Device Discovery service couldn't find a printer
in the printers folder for the instance that was successful so it was removed.
The unsuccessful instance remained. On 4/11/2012, the Device Discovery service
was restarted perhaps caused by a Windows update reboot. The Device Discovery
service then detected a new instance with a serial number and set it up. The
instance that was never successful still remain and is what is causing the
prompting every time you reboot or a Plug n' Play event occurs.

The suggestion is to perform the following steps

1) Disconnect the printer from the PC.
2) Uninstall the HP software for the device.
3) Reboot PC if not already prompted to.
4) ReInstall the HP software for the device.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation