Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I need to enter my control panel username and password in order to update the password that accesses my router.  I can't remember even setting the control panel lock let alone what the password was.  Can it be reset?

Thanks,

Angela

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@GGCAMP, aka Angela
Welcome to the HP Community:)

I will certainly do my best to help you! However, I am going to ask that you please let me know some more clarifying information to help me research the problem for you.

Please respond to me with the following. If there are any steps here that you have not tried, please try them before responding and include the result:

1. What printer model is installed on the computer? How Do I Find My Model Number?
  2. How is the printer connected (USB/ wireless/ wired/ Bluetooth)?
  3. What is the Operating System of the computer? What's my Operating System?

4. Where exactly are you being prompted to enter a "control panel username password" (on the PC, or printer)?
  5. Did you make any recent changes to your set up (physical move, upgrade, downgrade, new software installed, new router, etc)?
  6. What is the issue with the printer (cannot print, copy, scan, etc)?

I hope to hear from you!

If you appreciate my reply to your concern today, click the thumbs up kudos.PNG below! :smileyhappy:

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

1. The printer is an Officejet Pro 8625, and it is installed on my Mac

2.  It is connected through wireless

3.  It is on a Mac with the latest OS

4.  The "control panel" is on the printer

5.  Yes, I changed the password on my router

6.  I cannot update the wireless password until I unlock the control panel.  

Here is what happened.  I had the printer hooked up and it was working perfectly.  I changed the password on my wireless router for security purposes.  I went to the printer to change the password on the printer and reconnect it to the wireless.  In the process of getting to the place on the printer's control panel where I could change the password, I got a message saying that the control panel is locked and I had to enter the administrative username and password to unlock the control panel then change the password.  I forgot the administrative username and password.  I looked online and was told to use the username "Admin" and a blank password.  I tried that and it did not work.  I saw something online about a cold reset that told me to turn off the printer, then start it while holding the "Go" button. I can't find the "Go" button, and If I hold in the start button (the only button I can find) then it won't startup.  

HP Recommended

Hi there!

I would suggest trying to restore the network defaults on the printer, to see if this will clear the password message.

On the printer, select the Setup Menu, Network Setup, Restore Network Defaults, Yes, restart the printer and connect back to the network by running the Wireless Setup Wizard again from the same Network Menu.

Let me know if this helps, and we can go from there if needed! 🙂

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I tried this and the feature is locked.  the screen says, "Feature Locked    The feature has been locked by your administrator.

To unlock, go to Setup menu, touch Tools, touch Control Panel Lock, and then enter the username and password."  

This lock for which I have no username and password is preventing me from anything that can be done from the touch screen of the printer.  Is there a way to override this lock?

Thank you,

Angela

HP Recommended

Hi Angela!

Thanks for getting back to me with the outcome and your efforts! If the printer is still in warranty with HP, please give us a call directly for this issue. If the printer is out of warranty, please let me know and I will look in to this some more for you!

Hope to hear from you soon!:)

Reach our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Today instal new hp 8710 and I have the some problem like Angela. Printer is locked - screen loocked. I did not use name and password betwen instalation and I could not write admin name and password?!

Can you help me?

HP Recommended

Hi @hpojp,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand you want to unlock the administrator settings on your HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 printer. I'll be really glad to help you with this,

Let's start by performing a Hard reset on the printer.

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

I would suggest the next option would be to perform a semi-full reset on the printer. 

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Let me know if that helps. Thank you!

Cheers 

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.