Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I've got a Officejet 4500 which could be installed without problems under XP, Win 7 and Win 8.0. Now I bought a brandnew Windows 8 notebook (Acer Aspire) and updated to 8.1. Then I started the appropriate setup executable OJ_AIO_4500_G510g-m_Full_Win_WW_140_408.exe. At first try the program window opened and hung with the initial step (system checking). At later tries the file has been extracted but no window opened. In Task Manager I found the process "HP installer setup" using 30% CPU, but I was forced to kill this process finally.

The printer itself is now installed (I'm able to see the printer and to use it) but the Solution Center and the Scan/Fax capabilities are not available. I even used with the installation assistent. I stopped the firewall, no success. The idea to stop all Window services found in this forum seemed somewhat heavy to me. So what might be the reason that the Window doesn't open and the programs hangs?

best regards

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This thread has been locked, For more information on HPPIW please refer to the following support document:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02681060

The HP Printer Install Wizard is a support application from HP that assisted in downloading printer software. This support application is no longer supported by HP. The last update to this software was on September 22, 2015.

To download and install the latest version of software for your HP printer, please visit 123.hp.com, HP support website, or HP Support Assistant (in English).

I Work for HP

View solution in original post

86 REPLIES 86
HP Recommended

Got exactly the same thing happening with my HP Photosmart Prem C310 printer. I downloaded the latest driver but when I attempt the install it completes the file extract then nothing happens. Like Thomas I can find the HP Installer Setup task running as a background task but there is no screen output.

HP Recommended

Hi Jimpriest,

did you experience this with Windows 8 or 8.1?

br

Thomas

HP Recommended

Windows 8

HP Recommended

this is strange since I got it perfectly running with another machine one months ago on Windows 8:smileyfrustrated:

HP Recommended

Same problem ACER with windows 8.1 and the C309g printer. No progress shown after the extraction is complete.

HP Recommended

Now I also get this problem - I have had the process running all day and no effect - have tried to download the full driver again and when I run it I do not get any information on screen but on the joblist I can see that HP installer set-up 32-bit (using 45% CPU) (I did choose win 8.1 64-bit when I downloaded the driver).

Anyone who can help me through this problem?

HP Recommended

I got exactly the same problem with my Photosmart C310 printer. It worked fine under Windows 8, but when I upgraded to Windows 8.1, the driver and applications were no longer working.

I tried to uninstall HP aplications, but the uninstaller did not finish correctly. As I had other applications that were not working either (thank you Microsoft for this smart upgrade!!!), I reinstalled from scrath Windows 8 from the security backup, upgraded to Windows 8.1 and only afterwards tried several times to install HP driver without success. The installer unzips the files and then the application closes.

My printer is recognized by the OS (a generic driver has been installed by Windows), but I can only scan via the webpage of the printer, with very few options and less optimized than the HP software. Same for the generic driver where margins are not set correctly.

Can anybody from HP help us?

Thanks in advance

HP Recommended

Hi all, I am sorry to hear that you are all having problems installing the Version 13 and 14 HP software for your printers.

We (HP) are very interested in helping fixing this problem and getting the full install of the printer software.

Can you all help us out by answering a few questions about how you got to your version of Windows 8.1 and how the printer is installed.

• What version of Windows 8.1 are you using?
  • How did you arrive at theis version of Windows 8.1 (Upgrade [CD or Windows Store] or new install or Clean Install)?
  • What Printer were you trying to install?
  • What version of the HP Software were you trying to install and how did you get it? (Web download or CD)?
  • How is the PC connected to your Printer (Network or USB)?

Also I would like anyone who is willing to Submit Installation Logs to us to Private Message me and I will contact you about how to collect them and where to send them after collection.

Thanks

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Hi Jon,

all you need to know is described in my initial posting:

• new Acer notebook with 8.0 preinstalled
  • 8.1 installed from Windows store
  • started the install file OJ_AIO_4500_G510g-m_Full_Win_WW_140_408.exe
  • stopped working after extraction

It's irrelevant that the printer in question is a Officejet 4500 since the installation didn't come to the point to notice this. I suppose that a conflict between the installation and some Windows service happens but I expect HP to determine which one. I'm not ready to deactivate all services preventively.

br

Thomas

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.