Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

INstallation completed successfully on second attempt.  First attempt was file not found.  Please note that after installation was successful and I clicked 'finish' it tried to repeat the install.  Stopped it fast.

Thanks.

P71

HP Recommended

This was the missing piece for me. Deleting the  HPOINS***.dat in the windows directory helped me to be able to get to the HP install program. I ran it several imes it kept coming back with missing files and directories with added charachters.

My last and succesful attempt was to run the SetIp file ....Found in Users\*name*\AppData\Local\Temp\7zs***(name of file that zip file is extracted to).  I right Clicked on the setup file and ran "Troubleshoot compatibility" i had it run as Windows 8 and everything then Installed.

Thanks for the help

Byron

HP Recommended

From my investigations into  the Setup problems that most people are having with Windows 8.1, I have concluded that.

The two problems that people are experiencing seem to be caused by the same cause, a corrupt setup dat file.  The file is located in the %windir% directory (usually call Windows) and it is called HPOINS*.DAT or HPWINS*.DAT (eg HPOINS49.DAT).

The simplest thing to do is to delete this file from the %WINDIR% directory and then rerun the install.

I hope this helps everyone out.

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended
Jon,
Is there any way you can give a click by click path to go in and delete this HPOINS.DAT file? I have to admit that I am very inept when it comes to the software tech stuff and I may not be the only one on this thread. I've spent several hours in File explorer trying to find it, to no avail and I'm not even sure if that is where I am supposed to be looking. Any additional details would be greatly appreciated!
HP Recommended

Simple instructions on how to find and delete the HPOINS*.DAT files

Using the Charms Bar choose Search and Type in %WINDIR% and then hit the Enter Key

This will open the %WINDIR% directory in File Explorer.

You can then scroll down the list of files looking for Any File that Starts HPOINS you can then select the files and delete them using the Delete Key.

I hope this helps

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Hi Jon,

By selecting the Photosmart printer in the Configuration page  I choose the HP Total Care option for the latest download , after installing 380Mb (HPPIW) I got the error "missing file" again, did not find any HPOINS*.dat in the Windows directory.

I removed the HP printer in the configuration setting and add a new printer with a new printer driver (Windows update) 

HP Photosmart C8100 instead of keeping the old one as recommended.

Than rerun the setup.exe in the 7zS file (rightclick as administrator) and installing went on.

The next screen you have to accept the terms of the 4 blue lines one by one and then accepting the license term at the bottom.  The software is finally installed.

Hope this will help,

Regards,

DZL

HP Recommended

Hi All,

Jon's advise to delete a hp*.dat file worked perfectly with one exception: the problem file isn't named HPOINS49.dat but HPWINS26.dat. I eliminated it with 350 KB size then the install went through without any problems. Afterwards HPWINS26.dat was re-installed with 239KB size. Strange phenomenon but successful terminated:smileyhappy:

Many thanks Jon for your effort

best regards

Thomas

HP Recommended

Hello Everyone,

We were able to replicate this issue in house, one of the managers purchased an HP Specter 13 and they encountered the problem.  They were very kind to lend us the unit to enable us to find out what was really happening.

After our investigation we found the real problem.

If you disable the Macfee Live Safe Virus and Spyware Realtime scanner then the installation goes fine and does not crash.

I would recommend disabling the scanner for only 15 minutes as that should give you enough time to complete the install.

We plan to follow up with Mcafee to help them fix this problem correctly

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

I have got the same problem ASUS X550C notebook using Windows 8.1 operating system using the AIO_CDB_NonNet_Full_Win_WW_140_408 download for a HP Deskjet F380 printer.

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Could you give us a little more information?

Does the machine you are having problems with have Mcafee LIvesafe 2014 installed?

If so did you try running the installationwith the Realtime scanning disabled?

Have you tried removing the HP*.dat file from the windows directory?

Thanks

JonW

I work for HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.