Question

mxn Honor Student
Honor Student
mxn
Message 1 of 8 (2,529 Views)

j6480 fax setup

I am sure this is posted somewhere but I have spent 2 hours trying to find out how to set this printer up for fax and cannot get anywhere, very frustrated.  I probably will never purchase another HP product because they do not print manuals for their products or at least none came with mine.  I guess I am a real dummie because I cannot find this information, or if I found it I could not understand it.  I have searched the HP website for help and manuals, cannot find any.  This is my last resort. I need the very basics simply stated.  What cord to plug into what...  I have wireless with an att modem. Can anyone help me. 

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 8 (2,519 Views)

Re: j6480 fax setup

Here is a whole "site" dedicated to your printer.  You can get there through www.hp.com/go/customercare and typing in your model number.

Many manufacturers have stopped printing complete manuals.  Because most users won't even open them and demand the lowest of prices, it is an expense that is easy to cut.  I find it easier to get the latest software and manuals from manufacturer's websites, anyway.

I am employed by HP
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 3 of 8 (2,518 Views)

Was THIS guide of no help too?

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
mxn Honor Student
Honor Student
mxn
Message 4 of 8 (2,513 Views)

Not really, I am still trying to connect but feel like a complete imbusul.  I do not understand the setup.

I have one phone line, att dsl modem, wireless telephone with 3 handsets, hp wireless j6480 printer, hp laptop.  I have disconnected the phones, ran phone line from printer to phone line thru a jack, unpluged the dsl modem.  Guess I will try running directly to phone if I can find a long enough cord.  If I have to go buy one I will just hand deliver the fax, what a useless product...sorry by at this point I have been at this for 4 hours, very frustrated but determined.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 5 of 8 (2,501 Views)

It sounds like your frustration is with how to plug the fax line into your phone system.  Any fax machine made by any manufacturer will have this challenge, this is not specific to HP.

Your J6480 can plug into a phone jack in your wall if that jack is not used for any other device.  In this case plug the fax line between that jack and the port marked "1-LINE" in the back of your printer.

If the phone jack in your wall that you want to use already has a phone plugged into it, the printer will plug in between the jack and your phone.  If the phone is currently plugged into the back of the DSL modem, consider that to be the "wall jack"  Here is how to run the lines:

- Plug the fax cable between your printer (using the "1-LINE" port) and the wall jack (or DSL modem if that is the case).

- Plug your phone into the printer (using the "2-EXT" port).

I am employed by HP
mxn Honor Student
Honor Student
mxn
Message 6 of 8 (2,500 Views)

THANK YOU for taking the time to answer me.  I finally had to unplug all phone devices (TV and extensions) I had to bypass the modem and plugged the direct phone line into the printer without anything else plugged in.  It finally worked.

This was urgent because of a prescription form I needed to get to the Dr who is about 45 min away.

I will write these instructions down for future use, it is just to bad I cannot have the fax working all the time.  After all who doesn't have all these gadgets in today's world.  I guess if I had a new home with more than one line and lots of money it would be ideal.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 7 of 8 (2,499 Views)

You CAN have the fax working all the time.  Just plug it into the wall (connected to the 1-LINE port) and pretend the other port on the back of the printer (2-EXT) is the wall plug.  Plug whatever used to be plugged into the wall plug into that (2-EXT) port.

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
seetheworld
Message 8 of 8 (519 Views)

I am also trying to use the fax on my j6480.  I finally took the phone line going to the dsl internet and plugged it into the printer direct.  I hope my fax went, it said OK.   But the wireless att internet will not work without taking the phone line from the printer and back to the att modem.  I donot understand how to make both work?  I donot have a 2 extn for the phone and have an older home that I have to use filters on the phone lines.  Could you explain again where the 2 extn goes to make the fax work along with the phone and dsl.  Thank You

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation