Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My laserjet pro 400 m401 won't pick up paper from the tray. I have not changed the paper I have been using. It's Georgia-Pacific 20# paper. The printer has not been dropped or abused. If anything, we have handled the printer very carefully and gently. Therefore, I don't suspect any physical/mechanical/electronic damage. The feed roller makes a squealing/squeaking noise when it turns. The printer then times out and the display shows the message "No paper pickup". Everything stops there.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Community,

🎥 You can check this video: Fixing Your Printer When It Doesn't Pick Up Paper | @HPSupport 

I recommend you perform the below steps,

Step 1: Check the condition of the paper and reload it

The type and condition of paper can affect the way your printer picks paper. The edges of the low-quality paper that have absorbed moisture might curl or lift the sheet so the paper does not feed into the printer.

Step 2: Clean the rollers

Dust, paper fiber, and other debris might accumulate on the pick rollers and cause paper feed issues. To help prevent paper feed issues, clean the rollers inside the printer and in the duplexer (if equipped).

Step 3: Reset the printer

If the other steps in this document fail to resolve the issue, then reset the printer.

1. Without turning the printer off, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

2. Wait 30 seconds, and then reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

3. Press the power button to turn on the printer, if it did not power on automatically.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS (Generic printer)

If the issue persists, I'm afraid it does require a service and I suggest you Contact HP to have it either repaired/replacement:

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Agatha
I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I fixed it myself! One of the two compression springs at the end of the paper tray nearest to the front of the printer had become weak. I removed it, carefully stretched it and reinstalled it, and it works as good as new.:smileywink:

HP Recommended

Another possible solution: remove some paper from the paper tray.

We were hearing the same feed roller squeaking/squealing, and the printer displayed a "No paper pickup" error message as well.

I inspected the springs, as the previous posted suggested, but they were in good shape.

I solved this particular problem by removing some paper from the paper tray: jobs printed with no problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Community,

🎥 You can check this video: Fixing Your Printer When It Doesn't Pick Up Paper | @HPSupport 

I recommend you perform the below steps,

Step 1: Check the condition of the paper and reload it

The type and condition of paper can affect the way your printer picks paper. The edges of the low-quality paper that have absorbed moisture might curl or lift the sheet so the paper does not feed into the printer.

Step 2: Clean the rollers

Dust, paper fiber, and other debris might accumulate on the pick rollers and cause paper feed issues. To help prevent paper feed issues, clean the rollers inside the printer and in the duplexer (if equipped).

Step 3: Reset the printer

If the other steps in this document fail to resolve the issue, then reset the printer.

1. Without turning the printer off, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

2. Wait 30 seconds, and then reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

3. Press the power button to turn on the printer, if it did not power on automatically.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS (Generic printer)

If the issue persists, I'm afraid it does require a service and I suggest you Contact HP to have it either repaired/replacement:

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Agatha
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.