Question

Student
jbprince02
Message 1 of 5 (57 Views)

machine gun noise from HP8600 before printing

On start-up or when asking the printer to print, there is a very loud machine-gun like noise, perhaps 15 seconds, then some quieter noise, then the machine gun etc.  Eventually it will print.  Why?

jbprince02

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 5 (52 Views)

Re: machine gun noise from HP8600 before printing

jbprince02,

Welcome to the HP Forum.

Sounds like something is stuck, out-of-alignment, perhaps loose.

Maybe one of the cartridges is not quite set in place.

Paper would not make quite this racket unless it was really wrapped up in the sides of the rollers and you should be seeing errors as the rollers ratched back and forth.

Loose screw causing the rollers to clack and kick?

Certainly sounds like something that needs attention -- sooner rather than later would be my guess.

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround!

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
jbprince2
Message 3 of 5 (50 Views)

I agree with all of your suppositions and conclusions; I ordered a new print-head and installed it but the cartridges were never recognized as being present.  Fortunately I had ordered it through Amazon so I returned the print-head and got my money back.. I suspect that it will be cheaper to buy a new printer than to take it to a local repair shop.  Thanks for your help.

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 5 (47 Views)

Jbprince,

You are welcome.

I am sorry about the printer.  :smileysad:

I have had various printers, sometimes for years; none have not had the misfortune to actually destroy themselves in just this manner.

If you do have a shop near your house, it might be worth an inquiry.  If they cannot fix it for a reasonable fee, they may at least take it for recycling so you don't have to call someone or await pickup for eWaste.

Good Luck!

If you do have to replace the printer, I hope you will consider another HP printer!  Smiling!

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround!

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
jbprince2
Message 5 of 5 (39 Views)

You didn't solve the problem but you did confirm my suspicions - figuratively a "loose bolt" in a place that I do not want to look into.  I have another printer that I can use and since we are about to move I think I will just put the HP away for  a while. But thank you for your time and effort.

Jack Prince

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation