Question

Student
DaveBogard
Message 1 of 2 (1,379 Views)

my wife's photosmart c5180 all-in-one keeps rebooting itself and won't stop. it worked weeks ago.

And now we can't get it to stop 'rebooting' itself to actually be used.  HELP.

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 2 of 2 (1,360 Views)

my wife's photosmart c5180 all-in-one keeps rebooting itself and won't stop. it worked weeks ago.

[ Edited ]

I would make sure that the printer is plugged directly in to a wall outlet to ensure that it is getting enough power to function properly. Even if it has been set up on a surge protector, it can develop problems over time. After it is plugged into the wall outlet, if still giving you an problem, I would try a hard reset. A hard reset will attempt to restore a printer to a known working condition and no user settings are lost with that reset.

To do a hard reset:
1. With the printer plugged directly into a wall outlet, and turned on, unplug the cord from the rear of the printer.
2. Then unplug the cord from the wall socket.
3. Wait at least 30-60 seconds
4. Plug the power cord back into the wall socket first. If the cord has a module in it, make sure that the light on the module is lit up and then plug cord back into the rear of the printer
5. The printer should power back on by itself, but if not use the power button on front panel to turn machine back on.

If after that you are still having issues, I would look at this document here. It addresses the printer repeatedly turning its self off and will show how to check the electrical connects for the printer. I hope that this helps.

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation