Question

Honor Student
jkaytech
Message 1 of 5 (3,185 Views)

officejet pro 8500 USB Cable not included

Received my printer and using the quick set-up guide, everything went great until I got to item number 8, which gives me 3 options for connecting the printer to my computer. I spent a lot of time trying to find out where my cable was. Since no cable I thought at first they sent me a wireless by mistake, so I tried to set up wireless which was a waste of time. I finally went to HP Chat and online tech support told me I needed to purchase a cable. So on 8/18/09 I started and finally after purchasing a USB cable I was up and running on 8/23. I then went to Cust Support to get the quick start guide updated and that was another waste of time. The quick start guide listed the optional number 2 tray but can not list the optional cables. A second trip through online tech support chat I was told they could not list the optional cables in the quick set up guide. So I am posting my frustrating set up experience here in the hopes that someone who writes these guides will see it and change future set up guides. My story ends happily in that the printer is now working great.

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 2 of 5 (3,164 Views)

Re: officejet pro 8500 USB Cable not included

If you have the base model, i.e. the Officejet Pro 8500, then the box clearly mentions what's included in the box, and the USB cable is not listed there. Also if you check the printer on HP Shopping, then it shows below the Add to Cart button that the USB cable is sold separately, and at the bottom of the page, the 'Waht's in the box' doesnt list the USB cable either.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/printer/Officejet/1/storefronts/CB022A%2523B1H 

----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
HAYLYS637
Message 3 of 5 (2,912 Views)

I just spoke to your tech support service because I thought that HP accidentally forgot to send me my USB cord to hook my printer up to my newly purchased printer. After waiting 20 minutes to reach a service rep, I finally got ahold of one and was then informed that USB cords do NOT come with the printer (that I just spent over $100 on)! We went over the installation guide which showed an image of everything that was in the box INCLUDING a picture of a USB cable. After looking up this particular installation guide that I was referencing, she then told me that the picture I was looking at was merely an image of everything that was "necessary for set up." Exactly! A USB cord is necessary for set up so why would HP require customers to go BACK to the store to buy one? All my life I have used Epson or Canon printers and BOTH companies include USB cables with their printers. It just makes sense! I would appreciate some sort of logical explanation for this - hopefully one other than that HP is trying to siphon more money from its customers.
Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 4 of 5 (2,908 Views)

The only reason the cable is not provided in the box is to that the buyer can choose a USB cable with a length of their preference. You have no obligation to buy a cable from HP. They do not use any proprietary USB cable, but rather a standard A-to-B USB cable that you can pick up from almost any computer store. This is what HP does for most of their printers, excluding some club models, and ones where a USB cable is required to setup the printer wirelessly.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Student
linodiaz10
Message 5 of 5 (1,359 Views)

Hey there. I totally feel you. I know your post was from back in 2009. Today is 1/14/2012, and I barely get to use one of these. I got it free because I was ranked number 1 on my high school. I am in college today and I was trying to set it up. I like printers a lot and I was hoping I would print something cool today. Well, I will have to get the USB chord first. Your post was very helpful. It stopped me from going crazy and flipping everything upside down trying to find that cable. Thank you for your post and now at least you know that after a few years someone else also went through that odd moment you went through.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation