Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Hello,

Having a problem extracting the 64bit driver provided by HP on our server 2008 R2 standard x64.

Tried the command line execution as well, but no joy. Error page pops up saying it's the wrong

OS or something like that. Have confirmed driver and OS match, but still fails.

Also contacted HP but that turned into a trainwreck as usual. Do they really think non english

speaking people can really assist in this stuff.....Super frustration.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Chicagovince,

Follow the steps in the document below to install the printer on the server.

This document provides enterprise administrators information about customizing the installation of HP Officejet and Officejet Pro printers. It includes how to select a printer, what features and drivers are installed, and how to deploy the printer to target computers using a script to control the installation process. It also includes instructions for reducing the size of the deployed package, information about firewall requirements, and other technical details.
This document applies to the following editions of the Windows 2003 and 2008 Server:

• Windows Server 2003 - 32 bit (SP1 or greater)
  • Windows Server 2003 R2 - 32 and 64 bit
  • Windows Server 2008 – 32 and 64 bit
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 - 64 bit

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03351547

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi Chicagovince,

This document provides enterprise administrators information about customizing the installation of HP Officejet and Officejet Pro printers. It includes how to select a printer, what features and drivers are installed, and how to deploy the printer to target computers using a script to control the installation process. It also includes instructions for reducing the size of the deployed package, information about firewall requirements, and other technical details.
This document applies to the following editions of the Windows 2003 and 2008 Server:

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

pcwizard,

Thanks for the input,  I have tried this, but was unsuccessful. Additionally, the driver install package from HP is corrupted and I am unable to get the driver. After several hours of frustrating phone support calls with HP, I was finally told that HP is aware the 64bit driver is flawed.  A patch is on the way?? 

I am willing to try the script again, but I will need to be walked through the process since I couldn't get it to work right the first time.

HP Recommended

Hi Chicagovince,

The driver listed on the support website doesn't specifically state it is for the R2 version of Server 2008. Try the 990c driver steps below to add the printer to the server for print functionallity.

Follow the instructions below.

1. Open devices and printer

2. Click Add a printer

3. Click Add a local printer

4. From the Use existing port select the USB option, and then click next

5. Click on the Windows Update button to get all support driver updates

6. Once update is finished. Click on HP from left menu, and then select the Deskjet 990c from the right menu, and then click next. 

7. Follow the remaining instructions to complete the installation. 

Once you have the 990c printer added make sure it is the default printer, and then try printing to your Officejet 8600 printer using this driver. Let me know if you have the same issue?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Is there a way of installing a 'Network' OfficeJet Pro 8600 on Server 2008 R2? I have seen some other posts, but none offer a 'step by step' solution. Is there one PLEASE?

The above only gives me the first 2 steps and then stops.

HP Recommended

Hi IslipHP,

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have started using the steps in the link:

Step One: Copied all the files from the CD to a new directory into a new directory on my D Drive.

Step Two: Copied the line 'msiexec.exe /i D:\A910nx86.msi' into the command prompt, but after pressing 'Enter' get an error 'This installation packagecould not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that is it is a valid Windows Installer package'.

If I just enter 'msiexec.exe' and 'Enter' it shows me the various paramters and their functions, so it appears that msiexec.exe is OK?

If I jump to Step 4 and enter 'msiexec.exe /i D:\A910nx86.msi /qn /l*v C:\A910_Install.log' it creates the log file on the C drive fine.

What am I doing wrong?

Richard

HP Recommended

Some success!! I have now managed to get what looks like a 'basic' printer drive to work, by using the 'manual' 'Add a Printer' process.

The Pro 8600 is a network printer and this is what I did (i tried to add some 'screen shots' to this post but they were ignored):

Open Control Panel and select 'Devices and Printers'

Select ‘Add a Printer’

Select ‘Add a Network, Wireless or Bluetooth Printer’

Select ‘Officejet Pro 8600 (HP)' from the list of printers found, and ‘Next’

Select ‘Have Disk’ and ‘Browse’ for the HP Installation CD location (or setup files if different). Will NOT work for the downloaded driver .exe file from HP – identifies Server 2008 R2 that is not supported.

Select HP Officejet Pro 8600 and ‘Next’

Confirm or amend displayed printer name

Set up printer ‘Sharing’ if required – network default is ‘Do not share this printer’.

Select ‘Next’ and the installation is complete.

Select ‘Print a Test Page’ to make sure everything is OK.

N.B. ‘Printer Assistant’ is not installed and this ONLY gives printing functionality.

I then installed the second option which is the 'Fax Printer'. It appeared to install, but no functionality is available and it will not print a test page.

Can 'Printer Assistant' be installed separately, and so added to the existing printer installation?

HP Recommended

Although I have managed to get some limited print functionality out of this 'business' printer, it is completely unacceptable that HP sells it under their 'business' banner. It is clearly NOT a business printer, or it would have drivers for 'business' OS such as Server 2008 R2. Yes, it is server software, but they can used for more than that, and often are.

Is 1/2 out of 4 (4-in-one printer) really acceptable? When will HP recognise that they are very far away from where their customers want them to be, and what will they do about it?

HP Recommended

Hi IslipHP,

I can understand your concerns, but the software drivers for server operating systems are designed to provide print functionallity only, and give the client workstations the ability to connect to the printer. What you need to do is install the printer as described in the document listed in my previous post, and then install the full feature software on to the client workstations which will then give the users the full functionallity of the printer (Print, scan, fax, ECT.). Let me know if you need any additional assistance?

HP Universal Print Driver Series for

Update and Manage Printer Drivers

Add Network Printers Automatically

I am an HP employee.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.