Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

The printer was installed on the client PC's first and was done with no problem, other than is is not part of the existing 'HP Solution Centre', which the other HP printers are. Now we have 2 'printer centres' - why?

The last installation was on the server and that is where the problem started. After failing with the installation CD and the downloaded 'Basic' driver file from HP, I tried to use the document in the earlier post, but could not make it work. After looking at a number of similar posts from frustrated HP users, I put together the alternative that at least gives me printing with the Server 2008 R2 OS.

It really should not be so hard to do. The installation software recognises the OS and rejects it, but has drivers that work with Server 2008 R2 on the same disc! Why not simply ask if that is an acceptable option during the 'Auto' implementation? That way I would have had the printer working last week, rather than after a very frustrating run around ending up with today?

HP Recommended

Hi IslipHP,

The OJ 8600 software is a new version completely different from the older printers. It will not be included in the Solution Center software which was provided by the older version software. The new software gives you the Printer assistant to manage the printer.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

A bit off this topic, but when I went to print this morning the printer was in 'sleep' mode. Pressing on the touch screen woke it up, but it had disconnected from the network and no amount of pressing the touch screen would reconnect it. It had to be completely turned off and restarted - is this right?

How can HP claim that 'HP ePrint allows you to print anywhere, anytime'? This is NOT possible if the printer is in sleep mode - or am I missing something obvious? I hope so!

HP Recommended

Hi IslipHP,

Follow the steps in the documents below.

This document contains information about the possible causes of a lost wireless connection, tips for avoiding the issue, and general troubleshooting steps to help you restore the wireless connection on your HP product.

IMPORTANT : The information in this document pertains to HP products that have already been set up and configured for a wireless connection and that have been working wirelessly for a period of time. If you have not yet set up your HP product to work over a wireless network connection, visit HP Customer Care , type your product number in the search field, and then browse for the appropriate support document to help you install your product on a wireless network.

Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection

After you register your ePrint-enabled printer, you try to send a print job from your mobile device to your printer's email address, but the print job does not print.

Important : ePrint jobs might not print immediately. If there is an issue with the printer, your print job will remain on the ePrint server for 24 hours. The server checks the printer status regularly and will send the print job once the issue is resolved. If the issue is not resolved after 24 hours, the server deletes the print job.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

This does not address the problem at all. There is no problem with the wireless connection, other than when the printer 'sleeps' it loses the network connect. I have no idea if ePrint works, but with the printer in 'sleep' mode and disconnected from the network it cannot do so.

I have just come off the phone after talking to HP support. They have taken me through to the 'Back Menu' in the Pro 8600 and effectively disabled the 'Sleep' mode by setting the sleep delay to 0, thus it never sleeps. Not ideal by a long way, but at least it should stay connected to the network.

If it does not, they will replace the printer, but it sems to be a generic problem that would not be solved by replacing the printer.

HP Recommended

Forget his link, it's worthless...at least support is consistent.

Download the driver for Windows Server 2008 x86 or x64, (or both if you need to share to both flavors).

The installer is crap.  It will not run on your server.  However, it can be extracted with 7zip.  After extracting the files, you can use the Add Printer wizard and browse to the root of the folder you extracted to.  Pick an INF file from in there, and voila!

HP Recommended

I was able to extract the driver from a client machine.  Then I used Print Management to install the driver on Server 2008 R2.  We had a remote desktop user that was using this printer but, couldn't get the wizard to extract the drivers on the server from hp.    

http://willpeters.com/2011/01/manually-export-printer-drivers-to-install-on-a-terminal-server/

Here's the instructions in case the link doesn't work.

Manually Export Printer Drivers to install on a Terminal Server

Recently I had a client who was unable to print to his local printer on his Windows 7 x64 bit machine from a Windows 2008 R2 x64 server. Checking the event viewer I could see that Windows was unable to find the driver for the Canon printer. Canon did not have a driver download for a Windows 7 machine or a x64 bit machine for that matter that I could find on their website.

To install the printer driver from the client’s machine i opened the registry and found this printer listed in the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows x64\Drivers\Version-3\

for x86 its located here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3\

from there if you select the printer key you will see a string value for InfPath

It should give you a path to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ and the corresponding folder the cached driver is in.

I copied the contents of that folder to the Terminal Server. From there I installed on the Server a local printer – Clicked’Have Disk..’ and selected the inf from the folder I copied to the Server.

As a test I logged into the Terminal Server with the users credentials and found that his local printer now redirects correctly. The only thing left to do was delete the dummy local printer we created and your golden.

HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to add that I was able to do something very similar to A_Caps solution but slightly different.

In my case, the client machine was x64, and the server is x86, so the exact .inf file found from that registry location wouldn't work.

What I tried was to download the .exe file from HP for the appropriate OS of my server (I tried this for two different printers, and in one case there was no driver for Serve r2008 so I used Vista and that worked), and instead of trying to run that .exe file on the Windows 2008 server, I downloaded it to my machine.  Then, I right clicked on it, and extracted all files using 7zip.  Then I copied that entire folder of files to the server, and when it came time to install the printer, I chose "Have Disk" (in my case it was a different option, because I wasn't adding by IP address, but rather using the client machine as a host for the printer as if it were a network printer so my prompt to locate the driver was different than "Have Disk"), browsed to the folder I copied over to the server, and selected the file "hpvpl09.inf"

I hope this helps someone else.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your post! :generic:

I was able to install the printer in a EC2 cloud server and be able to print from QB to the office. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.