Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How can I connect a Laserjet 1100 to my computer via a USB cable?

HP Recommended

I bought a cable from newegg.com (item # 12-339-143) which is a DB25 female parallel to USB adapter for $4.97 with free shipping.  The printer cable that came with the printer plugs into that cord, then the USB into your computer.  The PC recognizes the port, but I have not been able to get the drivers for it for Windows 7 yet, so I don't know if it actually works yet, but like I said, it recognizes the port.

HP Recommended

I appreciate your help, but I have tried this, and the printer that shows up in the list in windows 7 is laserjet 1100 (MS).  If you select that, then try to print, you get an error.  If I am doing something wrong, I am not aware.  I have also selected the HP PSC 1100 series driver and when I print a test page, nothing happens with the print.  Any other suggestions?  THanks very much for all your help.

HP Recommended

Hello 

It seems I have the same trouble with my own printer : Win7 64 bits, HP LJ1100 + a usb/DB25 paralell adapter on which I hook the legacy LJ1100 printer cable. See the following thread:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/HP-LJ1100-USB-parallel-cable-prints-garbage/m-p/58196...

Chipset inside the adapter  is Profilic PL2305 ; upon "print test page", printer receives data from the USB003 virtual USB printer port but prints garbage

Did you manage do get yours to work ?

Thanks in advance

--

NZ

HP Recommended
Nope. Gave up and bought a brother printer which works just fine.
HP Recommended

It appears from the related posts that Anderson2244 never received a workable solution from the HP expert to connect his LaserJet 1100 to his PC using a USB connector. Do the connectors that that the HP employee previously recommended from Amazon.com not work? I have a new HP Pavillion laptop. Can anyone tell me what, if anything, I can do to get that laptop (runs off of Windows 😎 to print to my HP LaserJet 1100?  Thanks so much.

HP Recommended

I have an older HP LaserJet 1100 with no USB port. I have purchased a new HP Compaq Pro 6305 SFF PC. I have no suitable cable to start this printer. Would you please advise me what cable will I need to purchase in order to connect both units and to start printing. I await your reply.

Regards,

Tom Anthony  

HP Recommended

You can connect with a DB25 cable but I have not yet been able to make the printer work on my new HP pavilion with windows 8.1, so finding the right cable seems to be the least of the challenges here.  It keeps returning an incompatible error message.

HP Recommended

A better solution--if the USB to parallel cable doesn't work--is to add a parallel printer port to your computer. For a desktop, there are add-in cards with a parallel port. For a laptop, the options are more limited. If you're getting output on your printer but it's garbage, then everything is working but you have the wrong driver. Find a driver that is compatible with your old printer. HP 1100 is listed every time I've installed it in the past (I've owned mine for 15 years--amazing long lasting printer). Windows 7 has the driver built in.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Incidentally, I recently purchased a new DB25 to USB adapter from A**z*n, with Windows7 compatibility.

I made sure the product is "certified" with Win7, and selected based on the user evaluations who had the same configuration as mine (fortunately HP LJ1100 is a farily common product!)

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0034ZS39I/ref=pe_386181_51767671_TE_dp_2, but there are certainly other products around.

It works, although it needs some special startup process : PC powered on, first wire the USB adapter & DB25 parallel port, then power the printer. Similarly setup process can be tweaky to ensure the virtual usb driver print port is installed properly.

Avoid USB extensions by all means

I hope I won't go back to square one when upgrading to Windows10 soon... :-s

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.