Question

Top Student
paul06
Message 1 of 6 (922 Views)

photosmart 7960 printer will not install on my new windows 8 computer

When installing my printer, an icon appeared indicating it is not supported by my ooperating system [windows 8]

I have checked the hp website. it says that I can get the update through "windows Update". I did not see a search window. Availabe updates appeared on the update window. Nothing for my photosmart 7960 printer. What do I do to get this printer to install on my Windows 8 computer?

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 6 (915 Views)

Re: photosmart 7960 printer will not install on my new windows 8 computer

Hi,

Try following the steps below and check if that may help:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03461057&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=305383

Please let me know of any progress,

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Top Student
paul06
Message 3 of 6 (904 Views)

Thanks Shlomil. This workaround worked. I now have my printer installed on my windows 8 computer. The next thing I want to do is hook up this printer on the computer [Win XP] that I got it from and then use my home network to remotely print from my windows 8 computer. I re-hooked the printer to my Win XP computer. With both computers on, my Win 8 does not reconize it.

Paul 

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 4 of 6 (887 Views)

photosmart 7960 printer will not install on my new windows 8 computer

Hello paul06

Are you trying to attach the printer to your XP machine and then use printer sharing to have your printer show on your Windows 8 computer?

The following article shows how to setup printer sharing in Windows XP. How to Use Windows XP to Share a Printer with Others on Your Network

As a heads up, there can be compatibility problems with printer sharing across different operating systems, but it may still work. After printer sharing is setup on your XP computer, you can add the printer to Windows 8 by opening Devices and Printers and go to Add Printer.
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Top Student
paul06
Message 5 of 6 (835 Views)

Actually, I still have my printer hooked up to my Windows 8 computwer. From this computer, the printer works fine. I just can not share the printer with my XP computers. I have been trying to get my XP computer to reconize it also, but it is not. I cannot start a workgroup as it will not work with an XP OS.

Paul

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 6 of 6 (823 Views)

Hello Pual

While the following link is to a thread about printer sharing between Windows 7 and Windows XP it's steps should still work for your case. Follow the third post by jimbo45 and let me know if the printer sharing is working. Many users in the thread have stated the instructions work well.

Networking from Printer attached to Win XP PC to Win 7

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation