Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a problem.

I just bought this printer and as suggested by the "scarcely clear" set up instructions, I removed the small rectangular plastic film that you find at the far left of the scanner surface. (the right blue arrow in the picture attached).

Under that plastic film there is another smaller white plastic film that I let it in place.

The problem is that if I want to scan some documents from the upper document feeder, the documents alway jam on place where the plastic film that I removed was.

My question is : Is that right that I SHOULD remove that plastic film ? Only this one ?

If I had NOT to remove it, it is possible to have a spare part ?

Should I remove even the smaller white part ?

If it is correct to remove it, how I should do to solve the jam problem ?

I must say that the pdf file "HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277 Setup Poster" is VERY unclear at this regard.

Thanks

Best Regards.

plastic film.jpg

43 REPLIES 43
HP Recommended

Hi @Aris1 ,

I understand that you are having issues with the paper jamming when using the ADF and you want to know which part of the scanner glass the film should be removed from it, since it looks like it is jamming in that location. I will certainly do my best to help you.

I checked on the Laserjet M277 in our lab and there is a white plastic film which looks like it is permanent on the right side of where the ADF glass is. But the one on the left side covering the left side of the glass would come off. I tested the copy function with the right side of the plastic on the unit and it didn't cause any paper jams.

I have provided a document for checking the ADF and doing a reset with the printer, to see if it will help.

A 'Paper Jam' Error Displays for HP Color LaserJet Pro M252n, M252dw, MFP M277n, and M277dw Printers...

This document is for cleaning the ADF. Go to Step 3: Clean the ADF rollers and the separator pad (M277 only).

An 'Out of Paper' Message Displays and Printer Does Not Pick Up Paper on HP Color LaserJet Pro M252n...

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below.
If there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Based on feed back like your own we will change the graphics to make it more clear.

As for what to remove, if it's a white very thin piece of foam it needs to be removed.  It is mylar and is held to the printer via an adhesive it should remain in the printer.  If any part of the mylar/plastic piece is up please let us know.

Thanks for your feedback,

I work for HP.

(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

Hello,

the plastic film that I removed was a transparent one and was attached with some small "points" of glue.

There was no other plastic film in that position.

Under that plastic film there is a smaller (more or less HALF the size of the ADF scanner glass) white NON transparent plastic film, that at his LEFT border is free...is not attached to anithing....It is possible to put a finger under it and raise it.

I contacted HP Switzerland (since I live in Switzerland) and after explaining the problem they decided to change my printer.

They told me that after looking the the PDF file "c04541919.pdf" (which is the electronic version of the paper version included in the printer), removing that transparent film was the right thing to do.

They even suggested me to remove the smaller white one under it, to see if the paper jammed again.

After removing it I tried again to scan some 4 pages of documents and the pages jammed again.

So they told me that they will ship me a new printer.

Now my BIG question....when I receive the new printer, SHOULD I remove that plastic film or not ?

What if after removing it, the same problem happen again ?

Thats my big question !

Thanks for the help.

Regards

P.S : I can provide a picture (too big to post it here).

HP Recommended

Hi,

Hopefully this will help out someone since like the original poster I just went throught his issue. DO NOT remove the plastic film, clear or white strip, over the ADF scanning glass. I did this on one and the ADF would jam every time. Went to the store, looked at the demo model and both plastic strips were still in place. Exchanged the unit and left them in place on my new one and it works fine. The instructions really need to make this more clear.

HP Recommended

Thanks zjnd for adding your comments and clarifying and you are exactly right.  The white mylar strip is an important part of the paper path for the adf. It should not be removed.   Efforts are underway  to fix the  unpacking instructions.

I work for HP.

HP Recommended

Zjind is right, the clear transparent piece of plastic, that lays on top of the white plastic strip, NEEDS to stay in place, or the ADF will jam. Even though the instructions clearly indicate you should remove that transparent plastic, it is wrong. I spent several hours on support line with HP, over this same issue, and they confirmed their unit has the transparent piece of plastic in place, and it should not be removed.

I guess they will revise the instructions, but in mean time hopefully others will not make the same costly mistake!

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem and here, in the Netherlands HP is busy to investigate the problem. I indeed tried to replace the strip and indeed that resolves the jamming, but I put a dot on it and with the copy came the dote in a straight line. In other words, it proves that the light must come trough the glass and the strip. I think that this is not what the intention of the design was. The strip is clearly meant to be removed. And HP: do not come with a childish explanation how to use the ADF! In the HP lab here in the Netherlands the same problem excised!!

HP Recommended

UPDATE 9/29/2015:
After waiting for a "Supervisor" to call me back, it was determined to be a "hardware malfunction" that caused the ADF to jam.  Riiiight.  We all know that isn't the case, but whatever, they're sending a replacement unit.  Most surely a refurb.  FWIW, I couldn't find a phone number to call support; just self-help junk on HP.com.  For those that want to speak people that butcher English, call 800-474-6836.  Cleverly, when they call you back the call comes from 800-464-6836.  Don't bother calling that number, it isn't HP.

ORIGINAL POST:
Welp, I removed it too, now the ADF jams.  Put it back, ADF works, scans and copies are streaked from dust and fingerprints while trying to replace the film.  I compared and yes, I have the "incorrect" diagram.  

Called Costco, I bought last one in town, so no instant exchange.  Called HP, explained issue to a poor-English speaking man who promptly told me to return it to Costco.  Ehh ehh try again.  Ok he says, we need to upgrade the firmware.  WTH?  Thaaaat will fix the plastic film problem.  Then he has me reinitialize it, so now, not only does it scan and copy poorly, I get to reset it all up again because it's reinitialized.  Sweet!

HP claims to have a Supervisor calling me... tick tock, tick tock.... soo pissed.

I should have bought a Canon...

HP Recommended

Just to add to previous commenters. Neither the white plastic nor the clear plastic film should be removed.

I had exactly the same problem as the OP, having followed the instructions (basically the picture posted at the top). By the time I first tried the ADF, the piece of plastic was long gone and so I returned the product to Amazon -- indicating that the ADF jammed constantly -- and received a replacement (excellent service, as ever, from Amazon).

Interestingly the packaging and instructions were exactly the same, except the "setting up the hardware" instructions (Steps 1-3) that came with the first one were missing. Only the booklet starting with step 4 was included. Looking at the plastic in situ made me realize that I would never have attempted to remove it had I not been clearly instructed to do so in the guide.

Sadly, I think most people, like me, will only see this thread after the damage is done.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.