Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks for letting us know your experience on our new setup guide. We corrected the set up guide after we notice few customers may be misled to remove the plastice film by the confusion instruction on it. 

Neither the white plastic nor the clear plastic film on the small glass area of the flatbed should be removed as they are components of the paper path, ADF Jam issue may happen if they are removed.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with the scanner paper feeder. I was also mislead by the picture in the B3Q10-90983 paper:manfrustrated

I'm afraid I also removed the small white tape.

Did not expect that a paper feeder was built up using tape and plastic sheets!

Isn't there a simple work around for this? for example sending some spare parts with a clear description of how to put the sheets in place? Don't like to send the printer back for support for a seemingly simple issue as this.

Is there a HP issue number I can refer to when I contact support for this?

HP Recommended

I felt the same way, unfortunately I think they kinda require it (to diagnose the issue, I guess). When I sent my brand new unit in, I didn't even get same one back, it seemed like a refurb unit (had definitely been opened).

I guess on the bright side, they've finally fixed the instructions, if you look at the latest ones online, it's correct now (does not indicate to remove that piece of plastic).

HP Recommended

That's exactly what I don't like to happen: to get a who -knows how old- referbished printer back. I think this problem is clear and does not need further invesigation: the plastic foil is missing, thats all.

By the way, I did not buy this printer for the paper feeder function, it just a welcome extra for me. Nevertheless, I really think it's annoying somthing like this happens.  

Good to know that the instruction paper is changed, but I wonder who reads online instruction papers when you have the included paper versions on your desk? 

Changing the instrucion paper confirms that HP has mistaken on this and that my problem should be solved by HP.

HP Recommended

Help HP Brains !!  I have 4x HP M277 printers and they are the best.

A user managed to scratch the plastic film on the ADF scanner glass by sending a staple through the ADF. He now has a solid black line down all his scans from this scratch.  His solution was to pull off the clear plastic film that was glued down to the ADF scanner glass section.  Now all his ADF document scans jam.

How can i go about getting a new plastic film that i can stick back down ?? 

I dont want to bundle the whole printer up and off to repair for the sake of a stick on plastic film.  I contacted my supplier of the printer and they say HP do not have a spare part number for this stuck on plasic film.

How can i get my hands on one please ? ? ? ?

Many Thanks

#1 HP M277 Fan

HP Recommended

Hello,

If the piece of film was removed, the printer would need to be serviced. Since this is a Consumer product, there wouldn't be replaceable parts available.

I have provided you with a link to the Parts Surfer website and HP Parts Store, if you want to check it out for yourself.

Welcome to HP PartSurfer !

HP Parts Store.

Please Contact HP Support for further assistance. Fill in the model number and the form to receive a case number for quicker assistance. If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below. Have a nice day! Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I had similar problem and the instruction is very confusing. I could not believe this nice printer needs keep a removable plastic film and a piece of paper in place to work. 

I have to return it back to Costco and now I have to pay much more to get this printer again. 

By the way, the software does not work for my window vista and tech support is not very good either.

HP Recommended

Noooooooooooooooo the M477 got me.  Same problem.  

1. Remove all the packing tape and plastic shipping protectors from all over the device.

2. See obvious plastic shipping protector on ADF glass...

3. Better remove this so it doesn't damage the ADF... 

4. What is this white paper strip underneath?  Seems hard to to remove better leave it for now.

5. Test copy... why is it jamming?

6. Remove paper strip...

7. Still jamming...

8. Replace plastic shipping protector on ADF glass.

9. Copied with streaks on the document... NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Why HP WHY change the design?  Why would you ever put clear plastic over this part?  Why wouldn't you print (DO NOT REMOVE) on it?

How do I get a new a new plastic strip?

HP Recommended

I think the plastic film and underneath white stripe paper are parts of design and you should not remove them. I had to return it to Costco. However I do like this printer, I brought it again. I do not remove these parts this time and it works fine.

I could not believe HP is a worldwide company why there are moveable parts on the printer and the instruction is very misleading. It should simply indicate on the instruction DON'T REMOVE. It wastes my time and money, so does HP!

HP Recommended

The white paper under the plastic film is what the top scanner uses for calibration, so that's needed.

The plastic film strip can be replicated with scotch heavy duty packing tape if you are careful and don't get an airbubble in the scanning line.

I still want HP to fix the documentation and add a warning on that part of the scanner.  And honestly I would like that part of the ADF swapped out.

------

I can channel the thought process of the engineer that came up with this:  "We slightly changed the design of the ADF away from what worked on all of our other models and now it's jamming in that spot.  Let's just add a piece of the packing protection film over it and then we won't have to fix the design.  It's so late in the production process we can't fix any of the documentation though. What could go wrong?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.