print queue problems (228 Views)
Top Student
jerich12
Message 1 of 19 (228 Views)

print queue problems

When printing off multiple copies of the same item, when I go to the print queue , the number of copies look something like this:    231/29   The 29 is the number I wanted to print, but the 231 is the increasing number the computer wants to print.  As the number keeps climbing, nothing prints because the number is not finished going up.  If I try to cancel all print jobs, the number stops going up, but the printer never gets past "deleting" print jobs.  I then have to attempt to shut down and restart the computer and unplug the printer to (maybe) get rid of the print job.  I can print 1 page at a time with this not happening, but not multiple copies.  If I use my Canon printer, the queue only has the number of copies asked for  (1/10, say), and will print the whole job.  Any help will be appreciated.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 2 of 19 (213 Views)

print queue problems

[ Edited ]

I've seen the print queue be off before, but I've not seen it cause this problem. Has the printer always done this, or is this a resent problem? What OS are you using? What printer are you using? How is the printer connected to the computer? HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

HP Printer Utilities Page

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
jerich12
Message 3 of 19 (208 Views)

Re: print queue problems

I am using win 7 home premium, and the printer is Officejet J4680c, connected with usb 2 cable.  It also does the same from my laptop Also win 7 on wifi.  This has only been happening for past 5 months or so, and mostly using Printmaster when doing up 25-30 invitation posters.  The number goes well beyond the 25 or 30 and keeps rising until I remove paper and try to cancel the job. 

I am at work, so will try your idea when I get home.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 4 of 19 (202 Views)

print queue problems

Let me know what the Print and Scan Dr. finds. Also, did you notice any Windows, or HP updates before, or around the time, this problem first came up?
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
jerich12
Message 5 of 19 (192 Views)

I ran the doctor, and it said my printer is functioning correctly.  I seem to notice that my increasing number of items ready to print happens mostly using Printmater.  I usually print up 25-30 copies of an item, and when the progress bar finishes counting the 25-30, the computer doesn't go into print preview mode or print after waiting a few minutes.  That's when I can check printers and other devices and get to the see what's printing screen to watch the number of copies to print keep rising.     I did find a document online related to clearing the HP queue which does get me back to the start again.  Not sure if this helps.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 6 of 19 (190 Views)

print queue problems

You said you notice the problem mostly from Printmaster. Is that the only program that this has happened from, or has it happen from things like Word and IE?
Signature
Top Student
jerich12
Message 7 of 19 (188 Views)

I tried to print a word document and made 14 copies. When the print dialog box went away, I waited a minute and nothing happened. I double-clicked on the printer icon in lower right on task bar and the window popped up saying 1 document in queue. I clicked on that line and the 'what's printing' box came up, with the number going up through 55 copies, then the document itself in the box went away, and then there were NO documents in the queue. ???? curiouser still....
Top Student
jerich12
Message 8 of 19 (180 Views)

I had no windows or HP updates in awhile.  I tried to print a few copies from Word with similar results.  Made the job for 16 copies, and when I went to the queue to see what is printing, the count had gone up to  58/1 just before the whole job disappeared from the queue.  The printer went from showing 1 document in queue to 0.  A mysterty.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 9 of 19 (166 Views)

print queue problems

[ Edited ]

See if using an alternate print driver will fix it. I'll link the steps below. Let me know what happens.

How to Assign Alternate Print Drivers in Different Versions of Windows.

Signature
Top Student
jerich12
Message 10 of 19 (158 Views)

I will try your suggestion tomorrow.  Today, I uninstalled and reinstalled the software.  I could print the test page afterward, and was able to print 1 other doc, but it took over 10 minutes to actually print after hitting print from the preview screen.  I tried printing with the USB and wirelessly, and it didn't matter.  I printed a doc from my laptop wirelessly, and that printed.  I printed a doc from the desktop to my other wireless laser printer down stairs, and that printed.  I hope your suggestion works.  It's a real puzzle.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation