Question

Honor Student
heelsgal
Message 1 of 5 (168 Views)

printer shows has print request in que - will not print - no port shown

have tried uninstalling and installing from CD that came with printer - usually works, but does NOT

Have tried HP's software - doesn't work

Have tried unplugging, etc.  doesn't work

Printer shows in control panel, printer/faxes with print documents in que - but no port is showing as selected YET I go in preferences and select USB, which is where the printer is plugged in and NONE WORK!

Did diagnose problem download from HP and shows not connected to USB - yet preferences DO!

Intern
IPG-Sash
Message 2 of 5 (135 Views)

Re: printer shows has print request in que - will not print - no port shown

Hello Heelsgal,

If the HP Printer diagnostics is reporting that there is no active USB connection, then you might concider doing the following checks:

[1] Disconnect USB on both sides, printer aswell as your computer. Power off/on your printer.

[2] Check if the printer is completed with it's first intial setup (If just out of the box)
[3] If [2] is not relevant and you have printed without issue's before, then check if Windows detects the USB connection once you unplug it. (Windows can often allready report a issue with USB connected devices)

If there is no sound whatsoever, or the detection fails on all ports, then try a other USB cable, or try a random USB detection on a other computer if at hand. You don't report more information for me to work with, though these 3 steps might get you in the propper direction. These 3 steps and testing a other USB cable or checking the one you got right now are to determine a hardware error.

Kind regards,

van Baardewijk

Honor Student
heelsgal
Message 3 of 5 (133 Views)

Thank you for reply.  I just had a computer technician check all the USB ports on my computer and all working.  I have tried connecting this printer to different ports and still nothing.  When I OPEN my printer from control panel it shows documents sitting there but under PORTS, nothing is showing, as if it's not connected to any.  Preferences has a check beside USB port so I am at wits end.

I don't know whether to try to uninstall and reinstall again or not.  when something strange would happened out of the blue and the printer wouldn't work, I have simply popped the original CD in and all was good - this time it quit working out of the blue and after trying everything I had computer serviced, as stated above, and still cannot get printer working!! 

Intern
IPG-Sash
Message 4 of 5 (121 Views)

Hello Heelsgal,

Cheers for the feedback. Did the technician also try a alternative USB cable during testing? Since he tested all the USB ports, then these possibly have gotten no issue's. It is often common that the USB cable does not respond propperly, maybe worth to test this.

Uninstall and reinstall will not solve your issue since it allready reported that the printer is not connected, at any case, windows should detect the printer, since I can not see any report on device manager checkup. If the device manager reports no printer, then the chances of a hardware related issue are most likely on your system.

Did that technician test a alternative USB cable aswell?

Kind regards,

van Baardewijk

Honor Student
heelsgal
Message 5 of 5 (117 Views)

All the ports were tested but the actual usb cable that I am using that came with the printer has not been challenged as possibly defective.  Maybe I just need a cable???  I will try that.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation