Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 6830
Windows 7

I want to ONLY use Black Ink - and not utilise colour ink.

( I do have colour ink in the printer but dont want to waste it unnecessarily.  Reason: My employer  wont pay for the colour ink cartridges )

I have also already gone into the HP home page printer settings and ticked BLACK INK ONLY. 

When printing a PDF document there are a few options in the Advanced Settings whereby you can tick the following boxes.

Treat grays as K-only grays 

Preserve CMYK primaries

What is the best option here to ensure that ONLY black ink is being used. 

Any other suggestions to use BLACK INK ONLY at all times when printing is greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @Kylsa , welcome to the forums

My suggestions are below, which will help preserve the color ink cartridges and use the black ink for your print jobs. The steps will actually help you change the settings in the print driver itself, instead of having to change the color settings for each individual print job.

a. Click the ‘Start’ button and then click on ‘Devices and Printers’. Alternatively, type ‘device’ in the 'Start Search’ box and press ‘Enter’ or click on ‘Devices and Printers’.

b. ‘Right-click’ your printer icon and left-click on ‘Printing Preferences’.

c. ‘Printing Preferences’ should open on the 'Main’ tab. Follow the instruction which matches the layout of tabs at the top of the printer driver window:

d. 'Main', 'Paper', 'Layout', 'Utility' tabs: Under ‘Ink’, click in the radial beside 'Black’ and click ‘OK’.

e. 'Main', 'Page Layout', 'Maintenance' tabs: Click on the Advanced button located in the bottom right-hand corner. Click 'Continue' if prompted.

f. 'Main', 'Advanced', 'Page Layout', 'Maintenance' ('Shortcuts') tabs: Click on the 'Advanced' tab.
'Black Ink Only' or 'Grayscale' is on the left of this screen. Click into this check box to tick it and click 'OK' to save these settings.

I hope this helps you 🙂

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.