Question

Honor Student
Saturne
Message 1 of 6 (881 Views)

turn off alignment message HP 3050 printer

I have a DeskJet 3050 J610 printer scanner I use through a WI-FI network with Windows XP and Windows 8 computers.

Most of the time, I don't want to use colour, so I did not replace the colour cartridge when it was empty the first time.

Now, everytime I want to print a black and white text document, the printer asks me to:

1) re-align the cartridges

2) buy a colour cartridge.

I have aligned the printer alright. My prints are of excellent quality.

I don't want to purchase another colour ink cartridge.

Can anyone please tell me how to eliminate, turn off, get rid of the annoying pop up messages asking me to re-align the cartridges and then to buy a new one?

I have searched the internet for an answer and I haven't found any.

Is it possible to modify the printer driver so that it does not send these messages?

If yes, alignment could be an entirely manual procedure that users would call only when they estiomate they need it.

I hope someone has a solution, otherwise I will have to throw away this printer and buy a different brand, one that gives the user the choice of how to operate the device and then respects the user choices.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 2 of 6 (857 Views)

Re: turn off alignment message HP 3050 printer

Sounds like you are having an issue with error messages on this printer. First, there is not a way to remove those error messages. However, you can replace the color cartridge and turn off the use of color ink through the advanced properties section of your printer by right-clicking on it in the Devices and Printers folder. 

This would be the best way to remove the message while maintaining the printer's ability to perform its maintenance functions which is the purpose of those error messages. 

Let me know if this is the information that you are looking for! 

-Spencer 

PS Have a wonderful day! 

Honor Student
Saturne
Message 3 of 6 (846 Views)

Thank you, Spencer.

I don't want to put a new colour ink cartridge. I'd just wish the printer driver did not prompt me to buy a new one each time I want to print a black and white page.

Also, I'd wish the printer did not keep asking me to re-align the cartridge heads. I cancel the request with a couple of clicks every time, and the print outs are OK (so, no need for further alignment...).

Anyway, it looks like I can never get rid of these annoying messages. I see what you mean, that these steps were introduced by HP with a good intention. However, they are not really needed. I say this because I have been ignoring these messages (cancelling or rejecting them) for a long time and I am still satisfied with the quality of the printed documents.

Thank you again.

Have a nice day.

Saturne

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 4 of 6 (841 Views)

I understand how these can become odious to always encounter, but like all warning messages they activate when there is the prerequisite condition for you to be notified. If these notifications were disabled then the printer would not know what messages you do need to recieve and if anything were to happen to your machine you would not have a means of being notified. Unfortunately you cannot pick which error messages should and should not be displayed. 

I hope this is the information you need. 

-Spencer 

PS I hope you had a wonderful weekend! 

Honor Student
Saturne
Message 5 of 6 (834 Views)

Hi Spencer,

Thanks again for trying to explain the persistance of these messages.

All what you said is correct. But somehow it is completely unsatisfactory.

I should be able to change the settings on the printer driver so that I do not get these messages.

The software could warn me three times that what I try to do is not the best solution, but it should leave the choice to me.

Furthermore, despite the original good intention of the programmers, these messages are totally useless. I have been ignoring them (click a few times here and there until the message goes away) for the last few months and the printer is working perfectly well.

So, you see, I have trouble accepting the perfectly rational answer you gave me.

Anyway, it is not the end ofthe world.

Have a nice day!

Saturne

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 6 of 6 (827 Views)

I understand your frustration, and it is a frustration I share (for programs like my free anti-virus asking if I want the full-feature software). Unfortunately, that is just the way that the program is written. You have the option to ignore the message, as you have noted, but unless you remove the software the error message is just an automated service. 

I am hopeful that this isn't too odiuos, and that you are having a great week and you have a wonderful weekend! 

Best of luck to you! 

-Spencer 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation