Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Thanks, great answer and pics made it easier.  However, in my case i have to order the film as the left side it torn, possibly due to the paper jam.

Thanks again, now I know what to do.

ofgabar

HP Recommended

I would try a few layers of tape if just the end is damaged or if the printer is still under warranty then Contact HP.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

BIG KUDOS to all your expert answers and thanks for responding so quickly.  Tried the tape but would not hold for long. Now,  the question is, based on your experience:  do you recommend I buy a replacement film or exchange printer for another model?  From the posts I have read here, this seems to be a fairly common fault of this printer, and it is a pity because although noisy, it prints really nice. 

Thanks,

ofgabar

HP Recommended

I would not say this is common, I have only seen the case above AFAIK.  I would not buy an encoder strip for $100+ at a third party supplier.  I would start with contacting HP and see what your options are.  If that does not give a satisfactory answer I would look for a used Deskjet D5460 which uses the same strip.  I have seen these online for $30 or so.

For a fix with tape I would suggest wrapping around the end* in several layers, then cut a hole that matches the current hold with an exacto knife.

*hold the strip horizontally and wrap around (up and down) about 3 times, making the tape very tight.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back with you.  I have been out of town.  I did get the encoder strip attached but the printer still would not work.  Luckily, a store in town had this same printer for sale as a closeout.  Since I had just restocked ink for this printer I bought the same printer again and I will definitely be very careful on all printers in the future when removing paper. 

Thank you for your assistance.

HP Recommended

Hi there..   I just found this thread.  I have the same problem with my HP 8500.  The ribbon has been completely removed--the ends are not torn.  There are no smiley faces on the the encoder but there's an arrow on one side.  I assume that goes to the right.  My problem is I can't tell by your photo what it should attach to.  Also, the way the cover is on top of the carriage I'm a good 5 inches away from the internal area on the right side.  I was hoping you could provide just a bit more detail so I can hopefully get this fixed!  Thank you!!!  

Kelly

HP Recommended

Bob!!!  You are an absolute rock star!!  Disregard my previous question.  I looked at your photos again and decided to work from the middle outward.  I was able to find where I needed to thread it through the carriage--then I was able to pull the ribbon through and find the most likely place for it to connect on both sides (no wonder it was able to come off so easily!!).  Never in a million years would I have been able to figure this out without your thorough explanation and photos.  Thank you so much!!  

HP Recommended

Thanks for the article:smileyhappy:

I was able to fix the Carriagejam & Paperjam message apperaing on HP OfficeJetPro L7590.

I had removed the Encoder Strip, cleanned it and PRINTER STARTED WORKING......

HP Recommended

Thanks for the post! It was perfect for my need. Good job.

HP Recommended

i am new to the site but was intrigued when I read that you provided pictures of an officejet 8500 encoder strip

anyway I can get those from you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.