HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
05-29-2010 11:49 AM - edited 05-29-2010 11:50 AM
I've got a C7280 All-in-One connected directly to the network (not through a specific computer).
I'd like guest computers to be able to occasionally print to it without having to install the printer software. I'm aware they will not enjoy the full set of features provided by the full install, but for an occasional print this is not an issue.
I couldn't find a way to do that, at least no with Win XP printer connection options. Tried to enter the printer IP address but it didn't work.
Any idea how to do that?
05-29-2010 09:51 PM - edited 05-29-2010 10:00 PM
It is dependent upon the operating system. XP will likely need a driver. Vista and 7 will have the print driver built in. They will have to add it like this:
1. Make sure the printer is turned on and connected to your network. Verify that you can access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address before continuing.
2. Click >> Start >> Control panel >> Printers.
3. Click the Add a printer
4. Select Local printer
5. Select Create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP Port and click Next button.
6. Under Device type, select TCP/IP Device. Under Hostname or IP address, enter the printer's host name (found on the printer's network configuration report the generated above). Click Next.
If you get a message about Additional Port Information Required, then the printer was not found using the host name. You can go back and retry or using the printer's IP address instead of the host name.
7. Select Hewlett-Packard from the list of manufacturers and select and select your printer model. Click Next.
If your printer model was not listed, then select Have Disk, browse the HP CD that came with your printer and select the first file that starts with hp and ends with inf. Click Open then OK. Select your printer model. Click Next.
8. If you are asked, use the currently installed driver.
9. It will ask for the Printer name -- enter a new name or use the existing one. This will be the name of the printer that you select from other applications.
10. You may be asked to share the printer. Make a choice and click Next.
11. The Print Test Page box appears. Go ahead and print it.
12. Click Finish.
No version of Windows can scan without HP drivers & software.
If your friends are fortunate enough to be using a new Mac (OS X 10.6) they will have both print and scan drivers built in and they simply have to add the printer to the list with one extra click when they go to print the first time. They can also scan from software built into the OS. Older versions of Mac OS can do all the above except for scanning.
Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos star in the post that helped you.
I am employed by HP