HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
10-01-2011 03:33 AM
A few months ago, I purchased an HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 printer, and it's a great printer. I installed all of the most recent drivers for my Mac OSX system. This morning, I was checking the "Activity Monitor" because some programs were running slugglishly. And I found that the "HP Monitor Device" program is running a lot of CPU time (60% to 100%) and memory (over 2GB). It seems that the HP Monitor Device process is the culprit.
Any ideas why this monitoring process is so high? And, is there solution?
01-25-2012 12:29 PM
(Posted on another thread - HP Device Monitor takes 130% of CPU and 800MB of RAM while idle )
To all experiencing this issue, please follow these steps to resolve it:
Note: I know these steps are very similar to the steps to install the 8600 SW over the 8500A, but in this instance, the 8500A software is removed, and only the 8600 software is installed. The 8500A drivers are installed from ASU, and the 8600 software is utilized for scanning, and HP Utility. These steps have been tested and confirmed to work for instances where installing the 8600 software over the 8500A did not resolve the issue.
Step 1: Run the HP Scrubber Utility
1. Open the HP Uninstaller (Finder --> Applications --> Hewlett-Packard --> HP Uninstaller)
2. On the screen where you select your product, press and hold the Ctrl, Opt, Apple keys (all 3 keys in the bottom left of your keyboard) while clicking uninstall.
You should receive a warning message asking if you are sure you want to uninstall ALL HP Software.
3. Authenticate with your user name and password.
4. Let the scrubber do its thing, then click Finish.
Step 2: Manually remove the drivers/software that were added from ASU (if installed)
1. Open Finder
2. Click the icon for your hard disk in the navigation pane on the left
3. Navigate to /Library/Printers
4. Delete the hp folder
5. Navigate to /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources
6. Delete all entries for HP devices from this folder.
7. Empty the Trash
Step 3: Download and Install the Officejet 8600 SW from hp.com
1. Download the software from hp.com
2. During the installation, when it asks you to select your device, click the button that says "My Device is not Listed" and Continue.
3. Make sure to place a check mark next to HP Recommended Software when asked what to install
4. Once the software has installed, Setup Assistant will launch. Click Skip Setup.
5. If you want an HP Utility icon in your Dock, check the box on the last screen to add the shortcut, and then click Finish.
Step 4: Add the 8500A via Print & Fax / Print & Scan
1. Open System Preferences
2. Open Print & Fax / Print & Scan
3. Click the "+" to add a printer
4. Find your 8500A in the list of printers, then click Add
5. Continue on until the 8500A is in the list of printers (added to the Printer Queue)
Please let me know if you have questions about this process.
I am an HP Employee
Click the KUDOS Star to say "Thanks"
Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"