5600 series and Windows 7 drivers - where are they? (20621 Views)
Tutor
DonCorneo
Message 1 of 16 (20,621 Views)

5600 series and Windows 7 drivers - where are they?

According to HP (http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/win7web/printer-support/us/en/officejet.html) drivers are available for download, yet I can not find a link to them.

When you go to the driver download page, Windows 7 is not listed. Has anyone found the link to Windows 7 drivers that HP says exists?

The printer itself works under 7, I just want to get the scanner and fax working on Windows 7. It'd be nice to have all the software working, but not necessary.

Also, HP says that closer to release date more will be availabel. As of this post it is 3 days away and nothing new from HP. Windows 7 RTM has been out long enough for HP to get some of the software up to date for 7 installs, and I would hope that printers marked as having downloadable drivers will be first. My printer is a little older, but it is listed as drivers available in 7 and for download, so I would take that as meaning it will be supported in 7. The question now is how long before driver/software updates are available from HP?

PhD Student
cnfrisch
Message 2 of 16 (20,606 Views)

Re: 5600 series and Windows 7 drivers - where are they?

All editions of Windows 7 include a Fax & Scan application.  To access it, type Scan in Windows 7's Search programs and files box, then click on the Windows Fax and Scan icon that will appear at the top of the Start Menu.
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 16 (20,611 Views)

DonCorneo wrote:

According to HP (http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/win7web/printer-support/us/en/officejet.html) drivers are available for download, yet I can not find a link to them. When you go to the driver download page, Windows 7 is not listed. Has anyone found the link to Windows 7 drivers that HP says exists?

HP does not say the drivers are available for download, they show which printer models will be supported. Win 7 is not released to the public yet and HP has said  "HP Software & Driver downloads will be available closer to the official release of Windows® 7, which is scheduled for October 22, 2009."

I have noticed Win 7 drivers are starting to be posted for some products, I would expect the others to be added over time.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Tutor
DonCorneo
Message 4 of 16 (20,563 Views)

Officejet Products Software and Drivers Available In Windows® 7 Operating System* From Microsoft Windows
Update ** From HP.com download***

This chart header text is from HP and it distinctly indicates that the drivers are available.

This is the header, it says "Software and Drivers Available" (not "soon to be available" or "that will be available"), and when you look at the legend to see that a green check means it is available, the line for 5600 series has it under "From HP.com download". If they are not available yet, then it should say so. Maybe add another notation at the bottom of the chart. According to this chart the drivers are available, so either they are or the chart needs to be updated to say they will be available soon. It is things like this that causes confusion and frustration

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 16 (20,655 Views)

No, read the third paragraph before the table - as I said in my previous post it says exactly the following:

If your legacy product is not listed, no support is offered for Windows® 7. Newer products available in the market are the preferred choice for most customers adopting Windows® 7. HP Software & Driver downloads will be available closer to the official release of Windows® 7, which is scheduled for October 22, 2009.

I copied the entire paragraph and highlighted the relavant part.  I am expecting that the drivers will be available closer to the official release of Windows 7, which is scheduled for October 22, 2009.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 6 of 16 (20,607 Views)

The Win 7 driver page for the Officejet 6500 has been updated and now indicates the full featured drivers for this product will be available in late November.  Do not shoot the messenger.

Tutor
DonCorneo
Message 7 of 16 (20,603 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thankfully, mine is a 5600 series, not a 6500. (Easy mistake to make.)

But checking again, still not available two days before release, so it is unlikely at least for my series that HP will have the drivers available as indicated.

Also, the link I followed to the page with the table stated (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01886074&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=441127):

"HP provides a list of products that have Windows 7 drivers, products that have other Windows 7 install options, and products that do not have Windows 7 drivers. See Windows 7 product drivers and install options (in English)." I highlighted why there is so much confusion. One place it is stated that the drivers are available now, in others it says will be available sometime around the release of Windows 7 RTM.

Someone really should have reviewed all the references to Windows 7 to make sure all had the same information.

Message Edited by DonCorneo on 10-20-2009 05:24 PM
Message Edited by DonCorneo on 10-20-2009 05:25 PM
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 16 (20,578 Views)

DonCorneo wrote:
5600 or 6500? Or does that cover a larger amount of machines?

Oops - sorry about that.  There is not any information posted yet for the Officejet 5600 series, see here for updates.

Tutor
DonCorneo
Message 9 of 16 (20,574 Views)

I was editing post when you replied since I saw that it was a mistake, but also added why there is a problem with the are available and will be available which I am disapointed about.

It seems that HP needs to rewrite a lot of its information to eliminate the confusion it is creating. Unless a majority of the drivers will be available when Windows 7 RTM is released on 10/22/09, then they should not even state it. It is better to state that most drivers will be available within a month or two of the release of Windows 7 RTM.

Teacher
pbug56
Message 10 of 16 (20,493 Views)

It is now Oct 22, 2009 and there are still no printer drivers for Win 7 for my 7310XI (for which I still have HP service).  So if it breaks, I can get it fixed.  I just can't scan or fax with it.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation